221 - 240 of 247 Posts

·
Fix it or go home.
3 Posts
Howdy from Cincinnati!

I just joined this forum...yesterday.

Good to see Fixed/SS pilots out there!

Name: Collin

From: Northern Wisconsin (Eau Claire area) but have resided in Cincinnati, OH since 1996.

Job: Delta Air Lines pilot; MD88/MD90 aircraft; based in CVG.

Years Fixed/SS: 5 years fixed gear...but was introduced to fixed gear riding in the mid 1970's by my dad who was a junior amateur track racer in Newark, NJ in the mid to late 1920's with the Bay View Wheelmen. Dad did not care for multiple gears at all...even in his later years when he was in his mid 80's. Any bike that was given to him as a hand-me-down or that he acquired was converted to fixed gear.

Fixed/SS bike: 2010 Schwinn Sprint fixed gear purchased new in late 2009; currently heavily modified for fixed gear time trialing with Dura-Ace track & road, Easton, Mavic and ZIPP components.

I'm the goofy dude in the center of the pic below...I was able to manage a first place finish last month in the fixed gear category of a local/regional time trial series.

My 2010 Schwinn Sprint fixed gear TT bike with Mavic Open Pro clinchers...

My 2010 Schwinn Sprint fixed gear TT bike with ZIPP tubulars...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Name: Chris

Job: University Professor

Years fixed/SS: 0

Fixed/SS Bike(s): None (yet).

I rode a bike 15 years ago, and now that I have a son, and thinking of getting back into it. I'm thinking I'll get a single-speed road or hybrid in the next month or so.

·
Clear Lake, TX
3,268 Posts
I'm Doug, and I'm back to riding after 3 1/2 years off while working long night shifts in IT security. My fitness was at zero 2 months ago but is starting to return after 9 moderate group rides each Saturday, no longer than 1 hour and 40 minutes. Turning 50 means get fit again or become a heart clogged couch potato!

I started racing track bikes back in '90 (Alkek Velodrome) and riding road fixed gear about 14 years ago.
To keep me motivated, I plan on riding the Houston-Austin MS-150 in 2014 on a fixed gear. I last rode it in 1988.

My current fixed gear is a Soma Rush I built.
39x15 gear combo.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey All,

My name is Encee and I just picked up an SE Draft Single speed. I'm pretty much getting into biking since I moved to seattle and want to get healthier, commute in urban environments and overall reduce carbon footprint. I know this isn't place (and I'll search for appropriate thread) but I'm currently looking to change my 42/12 single gear setup to a 3 gear front which I saw on a Torker U-D. I really liked the quick start and the Shimano auto shifter as the speeds increased. Unfortunately I missed opportunity to get the details of that setup and I'm such a noob I'm starting from scratch. Any way, if someone wants to direct me to correct thread that'd be much appreciated!

Cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello all,
Name. Ryan
Live. NE Indiana
Age. 25

I've been riding bikes since i was 3, just recently bought a fixed gear bike for exercise/fun out in the country and possibly taking it into the city. Really enjoying the bike so far looking to make subtle changes and upgrades in the future months.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Name: Audley

SS/fixed Bike: Gravity Swift2 Aluminum

First time hopping back on a bike after 10 years of not riding one. Decided to give up car for this school year and see how much I can save by commuting 12 miles on a bicycle. I decided to start off with a cheaper ride first and see where it will take me later on. Bought a Gravity Swift2 off BD for $300 plus shipping :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re: Introduce yourself- Who are you thread…

Converting my 1993 Stumpjumper into a fixie flat bar road bike. 26" wheels obviously. Amazing how light the bike is once i stripped off all the extra crap! I an building this as a free wheel fixie using a conversion kit. Just ordered a chain tension thing. Can't wait to get it all rigged up! I custom made a birch flat bar for it too. I will post pictures once the forum let's me.

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!

Just to refresh this thread.

Name: Harri

Bikes: FG On One Pompino, SS Surly Karate Monkey, geared road bike Giant Defy 1

Years: FG coupple of months

I built this Pompino last summer and still getting used to it (I was single speeding during the winter (snow) time) and driving fixed as well. It's pretty scary to drive fixed -yet facinating.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394382782.520777.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Name: Chad

Job: Welder/Fabricator/Machinist... really depends on what needs to be done in the shop

Years fixed/SS: Picking my first up on Saturday

Fixed/SS Bike(s): Jamis Beatnik

I rode BMX and skateboarded until my mid-late 20's. Got married, bought a house in the country and had kids. My hobbies were kind of cancelled then. Now I'm newly divorced, sold my house and got an apartment downtown about 1.3 miles from my shop. I am also rather strapped for cash and have decided that a simple single speed commuter could be a huge money saver in the long run. I also would like to get back into BMX and skateboarding but this is a more realistic plan for now.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Name: Doug

Job: retired

Years fixed/SS. Built my first this winter, have ridden all of 10 miles on it this summer. Too much rain.

Bike is a cheap eBay generic steel frame; will upgrade now that I know I like it

Took up mountain biking 25 years ago when Dr. told me to stop running as knees were getting bad. Added road riding a few years later for additional fitness. Raced both as mid pack age group rider. Built a SS 26'er mtb mid 90's also raced that once. Have 2 mtb now and 1 road bike. Under the n+1 theory and to try something new and different decided on fixie with flip- flop hub. Why not? Rode it SS a number of times this summer, but it took me a while to get the balls to ride it fixie. When I did, I liked it right away. Intend to spend much time on it once weather clears up ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408644482.270286.jpg

·
Unfixed
38 Posts
How's it going? Lionel here. Figured I'd introduce myself to the forums. We'll start out with the typical married, father of 4, engineer and machinist and I ride a fixie.

I'm new to the forums and nearly feel like I'n new to bikes. I took about a 20 year vacation from riding and got a little plump in the process. I've been back at it for about 6 months now and have shed 21 pounds.

I bought an older Specialized MTB a while back and planned on turning it into a commuter. I noticed that I pretty much kept it in one gear the entire time I rode it and figured I must shed that noisy crap that was useless weight. I started looking into converting it, but happened across a Hopworks Pub Runner made by SE Bikes at a local shop for a good deal. It was last year's model, so they knocked $100 off the price. I still have the MTB, but do not ride it.

Back to the fixie. I have close to 600 miles on it at the moment. At around 200 miles, I bought a set of Thickslicks. I decided on those tires for 2 reasons, durability and cost. OK, I also had a dividend at REI, so they cost me $9 for the set. I have managed to commit fixie blasphemy according to a few enthusiasts here in Portland, OR. Since the rain season has come, I installed fenders, lights, a rack, a computer, and panniers. I also ride with both brakes and a helmet. A guy on the commuter train(I travel about 29 miles via train) calls me, "Unfixed." I'm 41 and too old to really care. I laugh with him, thinking to myself how not fond of corded jeans and flannel I am. Hey, to each his own.

I'm looking forward to lurking, maybe having a little input, and checking out what everyone else is riding.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Name: Joe

Job: Mechanical Engineer

Years fixed/SS: 3+2 with 40 years in between

Fixed/SS Bike(s): 1990's Cesare Track (work in progress)

I started riding a fixed gear on my grandfather's track bike in the 1970s. That ended when I rode into a parked car. I took up track riding at the velodrome two years ago and fell back in love. Read about it here:

Joe's Track Experience

Here is my project:
Cesare Bicycle.jpg Cesare Bicycle 1s.jpg Cesare Bicycle 2s.jpg

Ride Safe,
Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
Howdy Group.
Name: Steve
Job: Computers

I'm a "more mature" racer from the early 80's lol
I stopped racing in 86 when I couldn't anymore due to lung issues .. you can't pick and choose races due to weather.
I did some MTB racing in the late 90's but they pushed me to Elite fairly fast and then I stopped. I didn't want to train. It was fun up to that point.

Now after blowing my knees in 2009 from a cleat loosening while hill climbing, and other issues since then I've given myself a goal for TT'ing
So .. I've been indoor training since late October.

Boy .. talk about rock bottom in physical fitness. I was there. Sweating hurt at the beginning. Now I'm having more fun.

I have my road & track bikes from the 80s, and a few more updated ones from around 2000. The newer stuff is way $$$ out there. Hope to get on the road again and have some super fun.

·
UK Rider
2 Posts
Hi! UK rider here just registered, so thought I'd say hi! I've been riding MTBs for over 15 years, but this is my first year riding a SS, and I'm loving it! I've posted a photo on the other thread, which I hope you'll all enjoy!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Name: Jim
Job: professor
Years riding: MTB for 15, SS/FG for almost 2

I've been reading this forum for about two years as I got into SS/FG riding. The forum has been really helpful for total newbie, especially one scared of choosing one gear for riding in the mountains. Based on discussions here, I bought a Wabi Classic and have been riding that mostly fixed for the last year or so. I love it and find myself riding SS/FG more than geared these days!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, I'm Chris (43yrs old) from Mpls, MN. Just joined the boards. I commute and ride for recreation. I have a 2007 Kona Caldera and a Benotto Pista 2700 (see fixed/ss gear picture forum for pics of the Benotto).

·
Registered
396 Posts
I can throw my hat into the ring now!

Name: Jason
Job: Sys admin
Years riding: Intermittently for 19 years, more serious in the past year. Few days with SS

I picked up a generic SS at an unclaimed property auction that needed some work. Currently going through shakedown rides trying to see what else needs to be done. Might try commuting with it once I get stronger.

221 - 240 of 247 Posts