Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

241 - 247 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey All,
I live in Bradenton, FL
Retired, 69 years old (really gonna skew the age curve)
Used to race Cat 3 in central TX back in the mid 70s. Gave it up after some bad experiences. Hadn't been on a bike since.
Had some knee problems last fall, strained MCL. Doc recommended cycling as rehab. joined a gym and started spinning. Fell in love all over again. Bought a Mercier Kilo TT. Use it in SS mode. I love the simplicity and efficiency. have since bought and restored a Schwinn 974 aluminum road bike. (Pics to follow)
I'm still a little leary of riding in traffic but that will go away with confidence.
I'm hooked again. Can't get enough.
Rob

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey All,
I live in Bradenton, FL
Retired, 69 years old (really gonna skew the age curve)
Used to race Cat 3 in central TX back in the mid 70s. Gave it up after some bad experiences. Hadn't been on a bike since.
Had some knee problems last fall, strained MCL. Doc recommended cycling as rehab. joined a gym and started spinning. Fell in love all over again. Bought a Mercier Kilo TT. Use it in SS mode. I love the simplicity and efficiency. have since bought and restored a Schwinn 974 aluminum road bike. (Pics to follow)
I'm still a little leary of riding in traffic but that will go away with confidence.
I'm hooked again. Can't get enough.
Rob
Rob,

Welcome aboard. I am glad to hear the bug bit you.

Ride Safe,

Joe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yo! from NYC

Hello Fellow Fixed Gear-Heads! I live and ride in and around New York City. I have been riding my fixed franken-bike for 3 years just about everyday including the winter. I am 30 years old.

I used to ride a $1600 Trek Cross Bike before it got stolen IN my friends apartment. I couldn't afford a machine like that again so I bout a cheap fixed setup just to get me rolling again. Over time I upgraded everything except the seat post (which I will soon - Hi Thomson!). I'ts better than the expensive cross bike, haha, and it has made me a much better rider. I ride drops when I'm going hard but usually keep the risers on for commuting. I have straps now but am saving up for the Giro Empires and some clip-less pedals. :)D) My bike is a money pit! But that comes with the territory.

I am getting stronger and faster everyday. I mostly ride/race on the streets but I am looking to get into the velodrome (Kissena) and also train/ride with any fixed gear group or team. If you live and ride around the NYC area please let me know any info you may have. I consider myself an experienced rider but by no means an expert and welcome any advice or information.

Currently I am 'gearing up' for a century ride upstate with a couple of friends. I'm sure we will be doing it again 'down the road' if anyone around here is interested. (sorry about the puns).

Well don't be afraid to holler at me and ride/train/race with me. See you out there! :thumbsup:

The Tremadon.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good morning all I'm Greg from Texas. I'm new to the forum and just purchased my first single-speed, Langster Durango, at 66 years of age. To those of you that ride fixed, you have my utmost respect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Eric from Hampshire, UK.

The first Audax I completed on fixed was the hilly 1200k PBP in 1983, I was 34 at the time and rode a gear of 48 – 20. It would have taken around 227,000 peddle revs to complete the ride. It was an incredibly fast spinning gear, there is a time on many hills when people with gears would stop peddling on the descents, and it was at this point I would often pass a group of riders. I found 64.8 an easy gear to ride on both climbs and descents.

The PBP is an ideal fixed wheel event, with lots of hills, and not too steep, I have to say I enjoyed hurtling down more than climbing. I always rode with two brakes this gave me the confidence to go faster, I never liked using the peddles to slow me down.

I quit smoking in July 1981 and started to ride a bike, it had a 48 – 18 fixed. I changed over to gears after a while and managed a 600k the following year before breaking my collar bone. In the second year I did the 1400k Lands End to John o’ Groats in May and that put me off distance riding, so I put a 48 – 20 fixed on my bike.

When my friends said they were doing the PBP three months later in August; it did not appeal at all. That is until one of them; Jane Ramsdale said in jest; why don’t you do it on a fixed. I entered two shorter practice events but packed on both, so the PBP became my first completed event.

The thought of riding a fixed is possibly harder than actually doing the ride on a fixed, I think a lot more people have the ability to do the ride but never attempt it. I found that it helps to sort the mind out first. When I took on a ride that I thought might be beyond my capability; I would make plans to ride to the event and back, we rode about 200k to the start of the PBP; and on the way back a kind Frenchman gave us a lift for about a 100k.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey. This is a shared account as we are in a process of opening up our cycling business that is focused on sustainability. Also, we like to create a community that promotes cycling and sustainability. Other than that, we like to ride fixed gear, single-speed, road bikes, and mountain bikes. Feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions. :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mark
Early Airline Pilot Retirement
Tinkerer. Will try to fix anything. I may be slow compared to a pro, but I can get a good fix eventually.
Been on many types of bikes over the years.
I actually read directions and follow them.
Am in excellent bike shape.

241 - 247 of 247 Posts