Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
it is an interesting idea, both from a safety and bling perspective, though it is hard to tell the quality of the paint job itself from the tiny video. Does a custom paint job like that add much weight to the venge? I assume it is paint and not a reflective wrap that is applied to it?

That stack though, just looks wrong on the VIAS.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Looks pretty cool but seems like a lot of work if it was all hand cut and not a vector file run through a vinyl cutting machine. All hand positioned and applied or did you mask it on?

I am a little surprised that I haven't seen this type of thing more often considering the increased visibility it should give you while riding in low light.

how messy does that stuff get if it starts to peel off especially on the matte carbon?

I would also be concerned about road grime/dust build up at the edges of all the vinyl assuming it doesn't get some sort of clear coat over it for protection.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks pretty cool but seems like a lot of work if it was all hand cut and not a vector file run through a vinyl cutting machine. All hand positioned and applied or did you mask it on?

I am a little surprised that I haven't seen this type of thing more often considering the increased visibility it should give you while riding in low light.

how messy does that stuff get if it starts to peel off especially on the matte carbon?
Time consuming? Extremely, about 16 hours so far and I have only done that one side of the bike. Everything is hand positioned and cut to fit the opening or shape of the frame. But it's kinda fun, and make it's more unique to cut each piece by hand.

I haven't ridden it extensively since doing this, so it will be interesting to see how it holds up over time. It doesn't leave a mark or any residue when peeling it off. Worst case, when I want to change the design or remove it, I just peel it off.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Well, if it peels off fine, it is an interesting way to be able to change design at will, though I would definitely want a faster process for setup and application.

·
Registered
360 Posts
That is neat. As long as it is automotive grade vinyl it should last and remove clean. I am always a fan of safety.
The op is an artist

·
Registered
985 Posts
My previous job after moving back to MA was working at a friends company that did vinyl wrapping of cars, signs etc. One of the small jobs I remember them doing was some reflective vinyl "security" stickers for some mall security mountain bikes. I got me thinking of the possibilities on a bike but I didn't put all that much thought into it because I didn't think it would work with my bike but on a matte black venge with enough thought and effort it comes out quite nice apparently.

Definitely an idea I'll have to keep in mind if I ever get an all black frame someday. Ideally I could do the design in autoCAD or illustrator and then have my friend cut it on his vinyl cutting machine and save a lot of time.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would definitely make it easier if possible. Just depends on the design. It's kind of hard to illustrate this design in 2D without laying up samples and seeing how they fit onto the frame. Either way, I say do it and give it a try. It might even more in some design on a non black bike as well.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I enjoy doing this kind of stuff (meticulous hand work). I'd totally do something like this. My problem is lack of creativity with the design.

I've been trying to think of a way to incorporate some reflectivity in the finish of my bikes without making them look horrible. Your work is definitely inspiring.

I've seen some colored reflective vinyl for sale, but the reflectivity rating on the the colors (red, gray, etc...) is not nearly as high as the white/yellow/green which I'd rather not use in significant quantity.

·
Registered
580 Posts
It's not my thing but it does look cool. Curious how long it will last. Definitely unique.

Should have watched the video before commenting, that stuff lights up really well. Be more interested if it were clear in daylight.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The more I see it the more I like it. I wonder how long it will take until we see more of this type of stuff pop up on instagram accounts.

·
Registered
985 Posts
It doesn't look as flowing as the other side but that is probably because it isn't as complete. Looking good though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts