Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Long time lurker and finally decided to join the forums.

Anyway I'm just starting to really use my bikes I've had for a while. I recently (2013) got a new to me 2003/4 Lemond Big Sky SL and have had since 2003 a Giant Rincon SE.

I'm starting to go on more recreational rides with the Lemond and am trying to commute more with the Giant. I recently added a fixed fork to the Giant and am looking at getting some panniers and possibly some hybrid pedals.

I have some Shimano A530's for the Lemond and really like them except that like most notice, the flat platform isn't that great when even slightly wet.

As for the panniers I've been looking for something that will hold a change of clothes (khaki's/polo/ maybe an extra t-shirt, macbook air 11 in a sleeve, lock, and maybe a few other odds and ends. I was eyeing something like the Arkel Commuter or the Detours Freemonster but I really don't have to go that far once I get to work (less than 1/2 a block from where I would park) so i probably don't need the strap but really just a good grab handle.

I was also considering the Axiom Monsoon but then have seen mixed reviews about the quality.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Welcome. I would start with a roll top commuter backpack, which is useful both on and off the bike. I'd also install fenders.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome. I would start with a roll top commuter backpack, which is useful both on and off the bike. I'd also install fenders.
I got some SKS Blumells (sp?). The rear fit fine and I'm going to have to fabricate something for the front because the brace where it would attach at the top of the fork is about an inch too short to reach.

What size for the pannier or pair of I'm looking at a change of clothes? That's the biggest issue I'm having is figuring out how much or little space I can work with for my needs.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I got some SKS Blumells (sp?). The rear fit fine and I'm going to have to fabricate something for the front because the brace where it would attach at the top of the fork is about an inch too short to reach.
This will take care of the front. Generally, you'd need to get it from a bike shop, though some sell it on line, including Harris Cyclery. Here's mine.

What size for the pannier or pair of I'm looking at a change of clothes? That's the biggest issue I'm having is figuring out how much or little space I can work with for my needs.
Can't help with that. I easily fit clothes and shoes, lunch, tools and a tube, and a small laptop in my backpack. At one point I had a rack and baskets but used them mostly for shopping.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This will take care of the front. Generally, you'd need to get it from a bike shop, though some sell it on line, including Harris Cyclery. Here's mine.

Can't help with that. I easily fit clothes and shoes, lunch, tools and a tube, and a small laptop in my backpack. At one point I had a rack and baskets but used them mostly for shopping.
Awesome. That's exactly what I need. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,985 Posts

Holy jeez... You could summon Batman with that!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks again for the tip on the fender flute. Went to my favorite LBS and at first they didn't know what I was talking about but when I told them it was from problem solvers they said they could order one. Come to find out they had 1 listed in stock. Took them about 30 minutes to actually find it but it's working great.

Now I just need to find some washers the right size to get the fender attached at the bottom. It's a bit of an off fit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts