Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, I'm new to your forum, as well as to road bikes. I'm certain I'll need help/advice along the way, and for that I thank you all in advance. I'm a lower leg amputee with lofty goals. I raced the Sea Otter Classic MTB XC cat 3 just seven months after losing my leg, the result was an embarrassing DNF next to my name. The few months of training were not enough to overcome the three years of muscle atrophy. I've vowed the dreaded DNF will never appear next to my name again, at least not do to lack of preparation. As I move into a new discipline of cycling, perhaps, with your combined knowledge, I will have fewer unproductive results. Thanks!

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Welcome, and good luck. I'm sure everyone here will be happy to provide whatever advice we can.

And you really should edit your post to remove that word "embarrassing." There's nothing embarrassing about it.

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
I agree with JCavilia. At least you started, and that's more than a lot of people with 2 legs can say.

I sprained/fractured my ankle on my MTB this past weekend, and while nowhere close, having the restricted mobility of crutches and the big boot is giving me an appreciation for those with more permanent challenges. I'm determined to get back to riding form, and I'm glad to hear you are too! Keep it up.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
The important thing is that you started. The journey is more important than the destination. You should not be ashamed of DNFs...just use them to continue to fuel your cycling passion. And when you get cross that finish line, I'm sure a bunch of us will raise a couple of cold brews in your honor.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Many people in your situation would never touch a bike again and you are in a CAT3 race. I am completely blown away by this.
The best part of road bikes is you can just ride and you can improve versus your previous speed and time.
Welcome to the forum. If you are not offended by by snarky, Know it all responses to any sort of post you may serve up there is a lot of information here!

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Awed by your persistence and fortitude.

Luck to you.

Len

·
Registered
176 Posts
There's one cyclist from Manila who rides all over the place. He is very experienced and is as strong as a bull. He rides with pride, and takes care of his group. Just like you, he isn't bothered by pushing the pedal with one good leg. You sir, are an inspiration to the cycling world. I wish you all the luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.