Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
mad scientist
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey anybody know of a site similar to this one with discussions on investments, trading, etc? I did the obligatory google search and didn't find miuch that was free....any ideas? Thanks!

·
Cat 6
4,695 Posts
reklar said:
Hey anybody know of a site similar to this one with discussions on investments, trading, etc? I did the obligatory google search and didn't find miuch that was free....any ideas? Thanks!
Motley Fool...boards.fool.com. Not a great layout but lots of info.

G

·
marketwatch.com

CNBC.com
Yahoo.com
Stockhouse.com

etc.
Any of the places where you can get quotes. Be forewarned, those are not places for the faint of heart.

Even though you get disagreements here, they are mild. Venturing into any of the "investment" forums will test your faith in human nature. These rae the denizens of the pathological day-traders to whom "investing" means holding a stock for more than an hour.

The inveterate and die hard pumpers are singing the praises of any stock and the boiler room operators come out in force pushing moose pasture, trying to drive short sales, etc.

The threads quickly lose their direction and you will learn words you have never seen or heard before.

Think long and hard about that sort of forum before going boldly forth. Amazing what happens to people when money enters in.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Buyer beware

toomanybikes said:
marketwatch.com

CNBC.com
Yahoo.com
Stockhouse.com

etc.
Any of the places where you can get quotes. Be forewarned, those are not places for the faint of heart.

Even though you get disagreements here, they are mild. Venturing into any of the "investment" forums will test your faith in human nature. These rae the denizens of the pathological day-traders to whom "investing" means holding a stock for more than an hour.

The inveterate and die hard pumpers are singing the praises of any stock and the boiler room operators come out in force pushing moose pasture, trying to drive short sales, etc.

The threads quickly lose their direction and you will learn words you have never seen or heard before.

Think long and hard about that sort of forum before going boldly forth. Amazing what happens to people when money enters in.
Yahoo has a good one, but there are lots of people trying to seperate you from your money. Do you have a brokerage account somewhere? They usually provide an analysis tool that you can use as a benchmark that takes into account risk tolerance and time frame. Fidelity's is pretty good, you may be able to use it without opening an account.

G

·
West End Rail said:
Yahoo has a good one, but there are lots of people trying to seperate you from your money. Do you have a brokerage account somewhere? They usually provide an analysis tool that you can use as a benchmark that takes into account risk tolerance and time frame. Fidelity's is pretty good, you may be able to use it without opening an account.

The problem with any of the boards though, including Yahoo, is that the board for any high Momentum stock ( Apple) quickly turns into an uninhabitable wasteland.

For lower volume stocks the boards can be very useful.

·
mad scientist
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
toomanybikes said:
The problem with any of the boards though, including Yahoo, is that the board for any high Momentum stock ( Apple) quickly turns into an uninhabitable wasteland.

For lower volume stocks the boards can be very useful.
Thanks, yeah that sounds about right. I'm just starting out with a Roth IRA (have been managing my 401k through Fidelity which is restricted to mutual funds, bond funds, etc, for 5 years or so). I'm stil reasonably young (early thirties) but realize I need to get on this soon--retirement will be here before I know it.

Was hoping to find some beginnning advice and reviews on various online services sites like etrade, ameritrade, etc. Any experiences with those or other recommendations?

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
reklar said:
Thanks, yeah that sounds about right. I'm just starting out with a Roth IRA (have been managing my 401k through Fidelity which is restricted to mutual funds, bond funds, etc, for 5 years or so). I'm stil reasonably young (early thirties) but realize I need to get on this soon--retirement will be here before I know it.

Was hoping to find some beginnning advice and reviews on various online services sites like etrade, ameritrade, etc. Any experiences with those or other recommendations?
I would get a financial advisor of some sort. Make sure they work based on fees and not comissions. You will get sound advice, and at a reasonable price. A lot of the firms will give you a free first consultation.

I would avoid getting advice from sites that want to sell you something. This includes message boards. Imagine if 90% of the reviews on this site were posted by manufacturers, that's what a lot of investment boards will be like.

You can get good basic information on how everything works at someplace like yahoo finance. If you want stock picks, you should throw darts at a board or expect to pay out the ass. Neither option is good if you're an average guy.

My free and therefore worthless opinion: buy very low expense mutual funds or exchange traded funds. All the big companies (Vanguard, Fidelity, etc.) do ETFs nowadays. You'll be able to invest in the market, S&P 500, S&P Midcaps, etc. with very low expenses, around .1%. Do that enough and you'll make a solid 8% or so. You can do well by buying sector funds as well. I did quite nicely on energy in the past 18 months. You'll get 90% of the return and a lot less risk with sector funds vs. individual companies.

Lastly, every transaction you make means extra taxation, so don't buy and sell like you're a day trader, I wouldn't hold on to any mutual funds or ETFs for less than a few years.

Silas

1 - 8 of 8 Posts