Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, with the collective extra spending money many riders have, I was curious to know
if some of you are putting it into stock investments? I have a number of individual stock options and two mutual funds for retirement, but have run out of ideas as to the potential next "hot" market...
I made some $$ with oil stocks six months ago, lost a bunch in 2000 in tech. investments...any thoughts?

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
bahueh said:
so, with the collective extra spending money many riders have, I was curious to know
if some of you are putting it into stock investments? I have a number of individual stock options and two mutual funds for retirement, but have run out of ideas as to the potential next "hot" market...
I made some $$ with oil stocks six months ago, lost a bunch in 2000 in tech. investments...any thoughts?
I retired at 50 by never playing the "hot" markets. - TF

·
Registered
635 Posts
im only in college and i throw most of my money into the market (summer money, etc) and bonds and others......personally, i own jet blue, lockeed martin, northrop grumman (if we are gonna be at war, why not invest in two companies who do that.....) quiksilver (clothing and surf co) and a few others, suchas the company my dad works for, gold futures, a few others. I've been doing rather well in the last year and a half, although it's really small amounts of money and limited shares, but at least i havent lost anything.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
I retired by never playing hot markets or soliciting advice from strangers on the internet(s).
I could throw out all kinds of ticker symbols. But all I would be doing is trying to get you to help drive the price up on one of my dogs.
COCBF.ob anyone? Its hot! Hot! Hot! Hot!

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I only invest in mutual funds and have been doing pretty well with a gold fund, natural resources fund and an emerging markets fund. The ones I have are GOLDX, RSNRX and TMRFX. You can research them and others at

www.morningstar.com
www.smartmoney.com
www.bloomberg.com

The Bloomberg site shows how they rank compared to others in the same sector. If I had know more about this before I bought into a few of my current funds I would have made different choices. I'm hoping the TMRFX works though. It has an impressive record over the past 5 years. It invests only in Russian companies. There was another I was looking at that was in eastern European countries that also was doing about 40% a year. Its symbol is EUROX.

I have averaged 14.4% over that past 5 years and haven't really kept on top of it. I did over 40% 2 years ago.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh yes, the internet is much better suited...

firstrax said:
I retired by never playing hot markets or soliciting advice from strangers on the internet(s).
I could throw out all kinds of ticker symbols. But all I would be doing is trying to get you to help drive the price up on one of my dogs.
COCBF.ob anyone? Its hot! Hot! Hot! Hot!

for conversations about if 105 is better than Ultegra and if LA doped or not...at least I'm being productive..I'm hardly investing enough to drive the price of anything...just hoping to profit off those that do. with that said, I should have taken out a loan for google...

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty happy with ANCFX thus far...invested a bunch a few years ago using a work simple IRA...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts