Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to put out an invitation for everyone to the Central Virginia Bike Festival coming up May 17 in Forest (Lynchburg) Virginia. It's a fund raiser for the Alan B. Peterson Cancer Center with 20,40,60 & 100 mile rides. The 40-100 milers go through the Sedalia portion of Bedford county and have awesome scenery. The 60 & 100 miler adds the 13 mile climb up Thunder Ridge on the Blue Ridge Parkway into the mix. I'd love to meet some of you RBR folks at the ride.

http://www.cvbikefestival.com/

Thanks
VaughnA

·
Registered
66 Posts
Looks like 70% chance of rain including thunderstorms. I'm thinking of taking my cross bike which has fenders. I think the gearing would be OK, but the bike is a little heavy because of the rack I use when commuting. I'm using 700x28 tires, but the bike rides pretty well.The cantilever brakes aren't the best though... I guess I'll bring that and the road bike and decide on the day...

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JimF22003 said:
Looks like 70% chance of rain including thunderstorms. I'm thinking of taking my cross bike which has fenders. I think the gearing would be OK, but the bike is a little heavy because of the rack I use when commuting. I'm using 700x28 tires, but the bike rides pretty well.The cantilever brakes aren't the best though... I guess I'll bring that and the road bike and decide on the day...
Depending on the site you check it looks like 30-70% chance. If it rains it will be COLD on top of thunder ridge if you do the 60 or 100 so dress accordingly. I did the 100 in the rain last year but it was much warmer and didn't rain on the climb. And make sure your brakes are in good order, the descent down 43 from the peaks is steep and windy. I'll be on a fillmore singlespeed probably wearing an RBR lounge or CVBF jersey. If it is really cold and raining we may opt for the 40. It isn't as long but it is absolutely beautiful. I hope to see you there.

VA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts