Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to put out an invitation for everyone to the Central Virginia Bike Festival coming up May 21 in Forest (Lynchburg). It's a fund raiser for the Lance Armstrong Foundation with 20,40 & 60 mile rides. The 40 & 60 milers go through the Sedalia portion of Bedford county and have awesome scenery. The 60 miler adds the 13 mile climb up Thunder Ridge on the Blue Ridge Parkway into the mix. I'd love to meet some of you RBR riders.

Check http://www.cvbikefestival.com/ for more information.

Thanks
VaughnA

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You betcha! The ride along Charlemont Road is awesome scenery and the climb up Thunder Ridge on the Parkway rivals anything I've seen. This is one of the most beautiful rides around our area and one of the most beautiful I've ever done. Thunder Ridge is 13 miles and 3300 ft of climbing (~5%) so it is long but not really that steep. I think that this ride is an unknown gem. Of course I'm a little biased;) I can ride to the start from my house.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
capt_phun said:
what route do you plan on? Metric century?
You betcha! That's a classic ride for our area. The scenery along Charlemont Road and up Thunder Ridge is awesome. The climb up Thunder Ridge is long but not really that steep (3300 ft over 13 miles, ~5%) and the views from the top are hard to beat. Come along and join us. If you need someone to ride with I'd be glad to ride along unless you're a speed demon, then I can introduce you to the fast guys.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The start is about 45 minutes from Roanoke. Probably the closest campground would be Peaks of Otter, you should be able to get to the start in 30 minutes or so from there. I'm not sure if it is open yet. There is Wildwood Campground in Elon, probably 45 minutes..

Vaughn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.