Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to have to start commuting to work 5x a week again soon. Commute is 3+ hours round trip daily. Thinking I might want to start going the e-book route. Do I want to get a Kindle or should I pop the extra $$ for an iPad? I have $200 in Amazon certs I could blow right now. I generally read a book or two a week.

///FWIW...I tried a Nook and it sucked goats. Haven't tried the Sony reader yet.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
Going to have to start commuting to work 5x a week again soon. Commute is 3+ hours round trip daily. Thinking I might want to start going the e-book route. Do I want to get a Kindle or should I pop the extra $$ for an iPad? I have $200 in Amazon certs I could blow right now. I generally read a book or two a week.

///FWIW...I tried a Nook and it sucked goats. Haven't tried the Sony reader yet.
I am about 90% through my first book on the iPad and I'm going to say it's the way to go. I love my Sony for the same reasons I always have, it's not a Kindle and it looks like a book. But the iPad has opened a new door in that it does a zillion other things really well and reading with a backlight is not as bad as I expected it to be.

For the time being I'll certainly continue to use both as I am loaded up with books on each device. The future role of the Sony will be determined by whether I buy another book for it.

As to the Kindle, I wouldn't buy one for a whole variety of personal reasons.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
One other advantage to the iPad is magazines and newspapers.. I have the Zinio Magazine App and subscribe to Cycling Plus, Bicycle Times and a few non cycling magazines..There are around 10 cycling magazines available...

Bicycle Times is $6.00 for 4 issues..

·
"El Bwana"
4,399 Posts
iPad. Verizon will support the iPhone (and by extension, the iPad) early in 2011.

Edit: iDont know if the Verizon iPad will be iDifferent you may want to wait i5 months.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
I have a Sony reader and now have an IPad. I got the kindle app for the iPad and really do like reading on it.

Pluses of Ipad:

- Backlit...I have sat on the back deck at night reading while also listening to music.
- also use IPad for e-mail net browsing and lite picture processing.
- I've switched to doing about 90% of my news on the IPad
- if you have netflix and travel...movies are really good on it
- I've watched every day of the tour on it

Minuses of IPad:

- size and weight for reading compared to Sony reader. It's larger
- price

IMO

Len

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm in the minority - Kindle. It just depends on what you want, though. Just be sure to read good reviews, like CNET. com.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
There are around 10 cycling magazines available...
So is that 10 articles on how to finish strong on your first century?

·
Registered
582 Posts
My brother in law had a Kindle and now has and prefers the Ipad, I thought he was silly for getting it becasue it seemed like a big iphone but I was really impressed with it. I may have to buy one as well.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have the Sony Pocket and have tried just about all of the other e-readers. My biggest complaint is page turning time. It just seems to always be a distraction to wait while the screen refreshes.
That said, the iPad didn't seem to have that issue. I didn't time anything, but it seemed to turn the pages more rapidly, or at least the graphics fooled me into thinking so. I much preferred that experience, I just can't afford it right now.

·
Registered
287 Posts
iPad users...quick question.

Some articles have stated that reading on the iPad is less comfortable on the eyes because it is backlit (just like staring at a computer screen can be uncomfortable after a while). Any truth to that? My brother just got the Barnes and Noble Nook and he really likes it. The screen is not backlit (you need to read in the light otherwise you cant see anything) and looks like real paper.

Thanks.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I've used a Sony for the last 5 years and just now began to read in the iPad. I'll say that I was pre-disposed to think that backlighting was going to be bad. I was wrong, I think it's fine. Currently finishing up my first book on it.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
HazemBata said:
iPad users...quick question.

Some articles have stated that reading on the iPad is less comfortable on the eyes because it is backlit (just like staring at a computer screen can be uncomfortable after a while). Any truth to that? My brother just got the Barnes and Noble Nook and he really likes it. The screen is not backlit (you need to read in the light otherwise you cant see anything) and looks like real paper.

Thanks.
You can adjust screen intensity...it's fine.

I've read 5 or so books on it.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
How about the library? Even if you're reading just-released hardcovers, most libraries are extremely helpful about putting you on the wait list for high-demand books. I get a call or email when it's ready. Save a fair chunk of cash that way, not to mention the up-front cost of a device and the monthlies.

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
Alex-in-Evanston said:
How about the library? Even if you're reading just-released hardcovers, most libraries are extremely helpful about putting you on the wait list for high-demand books. I get a call or email when it's ready. Save a fair chunk of cash that way, not to mention the up-front cost of a device and the monthlies.
This.

Free book downloads from library = win.
The only issue is when the library has limited number of download rights provided by the publisher.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
GTDave said:
How about actual books from the library? They're free and don't use batteries.
Yeah I know...kinda got out of the habit of going to the library. Really should start going again.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts