Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to figure out whether to switch to a Garmin 510 or use apps on my iPhone 5. I have used my iPhone 4 and I recently upgraded to iphone 5. I like using the apps and I have used cyclemeter, mapmyride & Strava. How does the accuracy of these apps compare to Garmin 510 especially with elevation? I know a lot of people are concerned with the battery on smartphones and that is certainly an issue with me. Also, is it crazy to have your iPhone on you and purchase a Garmin 510? That's what I would to do to make sure I had a way to get in touch with someone in case of emergencies. I would appreciate peoples thoughts on this. Thanks!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Unless the iphone has a barometric altimeter, it is going to rely on GPS for elevation and suffer the same BS elevation stats you get on any smartphone app using the GPS and those apps. I suppose you can go in and edit the reports for real elevations post ride but that is no help when you are fantasizing about having just climbed 3000 to find it is some fairy-tale statistic. I was really resistant to the gamin but stole my husbands 500 and I really like the climbing data in real time. My phone is not as smart as yours (s2) but most garmin owners would carry a phone as well as the computer. You can do that, it is OK, really. You could just get the 500 as they are going to be cheaper with the 510 out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you are just a recreational rider and not putting alot of time in the saddle, then using just the phone would be fine and more cost effective. If you are more serious about your ride time and want the more accurate data tracking, go with the garmin + phone combo. The phone just stays in the back pocket of the jersey or if you have a saddle pouch, always there if you need it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've been working on exactly the same question: use my iPhone 5 (with a Wahoo RFLKT and BT sensors), or a Garmin 510 and ANT+ sensors.

Question: I like using Strava to hold my data and see ride history. Is there an EASY, EFFICIENT way to get Garmin ride data over to Strava via smart phone / tablet?

I know it's possible to import Garmin files via a PC. One of the strong points of iPhone bike apps is I don't have to fire up the PC to view / export data. If I have to do that I likely won't use the data.

Other related stuff: I had been eagerly awaiting the Wahoo RFLKT to use my with iPhone 5 so as not to have the phone exposed. But....from their Facebook page it seems like a good number of folks are having issues with RFLKT . BT sensors are mandatory since Wahoo is seems not to be making a good ANT+ solution for iPhone 5 (would like to use a DuoTrap sensor - is ANT+ only). And as everyone knows using an iPhone as a bike computer makes for LOUSY battery life. Just seems like a lot of down side.

The Garmin 510 looks good. Accuracy, good mounting, smart phone connectivity, ANT+ support, rock-solid Garmin reputation / personal experience. But...it's expensive, and there's the easy Strava upload question I mentioned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just ordered a 510 yesterday. I really like using the Apps on my Iphone 4 but when I'm doing a 3 plus hour ride I don't like killing the battery on my phone. This will be my first Garmin bike product and I'm really looking forward to messing around with it.

Marty

·
Registered
752 Posts
Up until this past week, I have been using the combination of Suunto Bike Pod/HRM and iPhone apps for GPS recordings. Over the last year, I have drained my iPhone battery to the point of rendering it not usable in the case of an emergency. Add to that having to collate the data so that I can enter it into Endomondo or another total tracking tool.

I have just gotten a Garmin Edge 500 and am wondering why I held off for so long in getting it. Do yourself a favor, go for the dedicated cycling computer and be done with it.

EEC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.