Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know my father's got a Blackberry and uses his laptop to piggyback the data, or whatever.

Any way to do that with an iphone?

Any way to output the video to a larger screen?

I know a keyboard is too much to ask...

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I sync my Iphone with my Exchange Email, calender, and contacts and my Gmail email. Other than that, not much piggybacking available directly to computer. Lots of backing up on internet through specific websites like www.toodledo.com for tasks...

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
There is Air Sharing that could be used for some things but I'm not sure how useful that is.

Other than Exchange or Mobile Me, I don't know of anything else.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i dont think you can poach the phone's data service for your laptop. i'd like to know how if you can tho.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
To answer both your questions Yes (theoretically) and Yes.

Teathering: The first involves teathering and some of us early adopters were lucky enough to grab the app before Apple pulled it from the store, I was not one of them. (At the time I really didn't have a call for that functionality as I am fully connected in the places I travel too) I no longer recall the name, but I recall the story on Slashdot or MDN awhile back. I am pretty sure you can teather with a jailbroken iPhone too, but I don't know how to do that. My guess is that Apple will have to work out some deal with ATT to allow it.

Video: This is very easy, All you need is the appropriate adaptor/cable set for the iPhone. You can directly plug it into a TV and display your Movie or whatever. My daughter does this on her iPod and it is pretty good quality. Don't know how it works on the iPhone, never tried it, but the functionality is there.

Also I use AirSharing and it is pretty good, If I need to work on some documents in a client's file and I am rushing out the door, I can just drag the folder over to my iPhone (connected on the same wireless network) and I now have the files and can dl them to another computer at a later time. I also use MobileFiles (which is free) and that allows direct interaction with your iDisk/MobileMe stuff, either on the network or over wifi. (by the way you can open MS Word and Excel files, pdfs, text files, and iWork documents, probably a few others too, but those are the ones I use).

ATT 3G network is pretty good in my neck of the woods and it is hard to tell the difference between it and wifi speeds over the iPhone. (cable over wifi @ home and DSL over wifi @ office.)

The keyboard has its pluses and minuses. It is very easy to use and easy to change between keyboards (upper lower case, special characters, and especially if you type in a second, or multiple, language(s). There are some slick and intuitive shortcuts, but the auto spell corrector can be a bit aggravating at times for some words. The biggest thing though, is the loss of tactile feedback which does take some getting used to. But having that big screen and disappearing keyboard when you don't need it more than makes up for it.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks -- also

Great, I'll have to get one of those cables.

I mostly want to use my iphone to either read RBR or watch streaming stuff at home. Sounds like it'll work fine.

zac said:
Video: This is very easy, All you need is the appropriate adaptor/cable set for the iPhone. You can directly plug it into a TV and display your Movie or whatever. My daughter does this on her iPod and it is pretty good quality. Don't know how it works on the iPhone, never tried it, but the functionality is there.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Argentius said:

I mostly want to use my iphone to either read RBR or watch streaming stuff at home. Sounds like it'll work fine.
As for streaming media it does YouTube stuff just fine. It does many formats that QT handles natively, but not everything. You may want to try one out on the sites you like to visit first just to make sure.

I think these things are seriously cool.

There are several bike apps for it too. I don't use a bike computer and frequently get lost on extended rides on some back roads here in MA & So. NH & VT. Just take out the iPhone and with GPS it finds me. I have tried it with mapmyride and that works ok too.

(from my iPhone)
zac

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Argentius said:

I tried to read and post to RBR from my kid's Ipod Touch and gave up...to frustrating...the screen is too small and it takes forever to type on the keypad.

·
I like Chicken
1,403 Posts
I tethered my unlocked 2g iPhone on T-Mo.
Back to a BB now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts