Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just skimmed through the USCF rulebook looking for a rule about wearing a walkman in races. I can't find anything. I'd never consider it during a RR or Crit, but a duringa TT I think it would be nice. I find when skiing and training certain high BPM songs do have a positive impact on my performance. does anyone know the rules on radios?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,364 Posts
bauerb said:
I've just skimmed through the USCF rulebook looking for a rule about wearing a walkman in races. I can't find anything. I'd never consider it during a RR or Crit, but a duringa TT I think it would be nice. I find when skiing and training certain high BPM songs do have a positive impact on my performance. does anyone know the rules on radios?
For USCF races, one earpiece only and only if you're in a Cat 1, 2, or Pro race. Never for juniors.
http://www.usacycling.org/forms/USCF_Rulebook.pdf 1K3, page 30.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,525 Posts
A good idea?

Ignoring any safety issues, and the USCF rules, I suspect that you might find that it is too easy to get into the music and forget the need to be in pain from the effort. The music might make you feel better about yourself and enjoy the race more, but it would be surprising if it would help, rather than hurt, your finish time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Studies have shown that those testing while listening to music rode longer and faster then those without. Whish I had the actual tests and results handy.
Test it out in training, if it works, use it in the TT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
may be true in some cases

like the overweight walkers I see in the gym walking on the treadmills. they need an escape. I don't need an escape. I embrace the pain. what I find is that certain music gets my adrenaline going and gets me into a zone where I can really hammer. it has nothing to do with feeling better about myself, it is much closer to the feeling you get when the crowd is cheering for you, and you can dig deeper and go faster


QUOTE=Kerry Irons]Ignoring any safety issues, and the USCF rules, I suspect that you might find that it is too easy to get into the music and forget the need to be in pain from the effort. The music might make you feel better about yourself and enjoy the race more, but it would be surprising if it would help, rather than hurt, your finish time.[/QUOTE]
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,415 Posts
You should find out if it is legal in your state to drive a car with headphones on. Music on a trainer is one thing.....music on an open road is another.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I enjoy kicking out the jams on my normal training rides. I only wear one earphone in the right ear so as to better be able to hear traffic (and there is traffic in Atlanta). During a TT it would break my concentration away from the effort and wouldn't work for me, but more power to you if it works for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,387 Posts
Can't do it..

L-Dogg said:
I enjoy kicking out the jams on my normal training rides. I only wear one earphone in the right ear so as to better be able to hear traffic (and there is traffic in Atlanta). During a TT it would break my concentration away from the effort and wouldn't work for me, but more power to you if it works for you.
You can't wear an iPod or other such device during competition, ever. That's the end of it. If you the official sees you doing it, they'll DSQ you and toss you out of the race.
 

·
Lexicon Devil
Joined
·
961 Posts
All I know is that when I rock Slayer while on the rollers, I end up pulling a 9/10 effort sprint.

Nothing like "Raining Blood" to get the...well, blood boiling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Doctor Who said:
All I know is that when I rock Slayer while on the rollers, I end up pulling a 9/10 effort sprint.

Nothing like "Raining Blood" to get the...well, blood boiling.
Darn! I guess my problem was playing too much Natalie Imbruglia.. :)
 

·
Scary Teddy Bear
Joined
·
14,791 Posts
Agreed

Doctor Who said:
All I know is that when I rock Slayer while on the rollers, I end up pulling a 9/10 effort sprint.

Nothing like "Raining Blood" to get the...well, blood boiling.

I know that pumping up some old school metallica or megadeth, or even AC/DC, and man I just start pedaling and working that much harder....just start letting that anger boil....just rise up and consume....and then the adrenaline flows and power output climbs. Don't know about the legality though. I wear one earpiece in my right ear while out riding....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
I always ride with an ipod if Im riding alone, obviously not if im riding with others. I was involved in a pretty bad accident last december going up against a car, not wearing headphones wouldve never prevented anything since I was hit in a "Tbone" like situation; I just froze when I saw the idiot speeding at me talking on his cell phone.
 

·
jaded bitter joy crusher
Joined
·
19,723 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
You should find out if it is legal in your state to drive a car with headphones on. Music on a trainer is one thing.....music on an open road is another.
It's legal in most states to ride a motorcycle with headphones. Many manufacturers make specialty speakers and phones for motorcycle helmets (http://www.motoguide.com/helmet_speakers.shtml)

In my state, Tennessee, it's also perfectly legal to drive a car with headphones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,364 Posts
magnolialover said:
You can't wear an iPod or other such device during competition, ever. That's the end of it. If you the official sees you doing it, they'll DSQ you and toss you out of the race.
How do they support that in light of 1K3?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,387 Posts
For the record...

asgelle said:
How do they support that in light of 1K3?
1K3 states:

1K3. Non-handheld radios with only one earpiece may be worn or carried by the rider or bicycle only in road events that include category 1,2, or professional riders, except in junior races.

I hardly doubt anyone could actually call an iPod or other walkman type device a "radio" do you? By radio, they indicate a 2 way communications device between someone riding the bicycle, and other riders or someone on the side of the road. I asked my local USCF official about this, and he said in no way are iPods or other devices allowed ever.
 

·
Growing Older, Not Up
Joined
·
1,318 Posts
Not to be rude, but when did riding a bike become so boring you needed music?

I used to be a fairly active musician (performing, recording, teaching) so I know it can be motivational, focusing, etc. IMO, the only sport that warrants music thru headphones is running.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,387 Posts
How many?

crumjack said:
Not to be rude, but when did riding a bike become so boring you needed music?

I used to be a fairly active musician (performing, recording, teaching) so I know it can be motivational, focusing, etc. IMO, the only sport that warrants music thru headphones is running.
How many solo training rides of over 6 hours have you done? That's the answer for the music playing while you're riding, at least in my opinion. It's not because riding is actually boring, but because you might like to have something to listen to while you're cranking away the miles, I know I do. Why running? You're not out running for any near the length of time that you'd normally do a training ride.
 

·
Growing Older, Not Up
Joined
·
1,318 Posts
magnolialover said:
How many solo training rides of over 6 hours have you done? That's the answer for the music playing while you're riding, at least in my opinion. It's not because riding is actually boring, but because you might like to have something to listen to while you're cranking away the miles, I know I do. Why running? You're not out running for any near the length of time that you'd normally do a training ride.
The OP was asking about a TT. I'm not aware of many six hour TTs. I have seen guys at the singletrack readying their IPods for the 30-40 minute trip around the loop. I've also seen posts about guys showing up at group rides with headphones. It all seems a little puzzling to me. A long solo ride makes a little sense but the other examples I've heard seem unnecessary to me.

When I'm on my longer rides, I take in the sounds and scenery around me. Admittedly, these aren't 6 hours rides, more like 3-4 hours, but I doubt the extra couple of hours would make a diff. I enjoy the fact that cycling allows me to notice and enjoy things I may take for granted. If I want music, I have a little talent left so I'll sing myself! :)

Why running? To me, its plain boring and can never wait to be done with it so the distraction is needed. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
Doctor Who said:
All I know is that when I rock Slayer while on the rollers, I end up pulling a 9/10 effort sprint.

Nothing like "Raining Blood" to get the...well, blood boiling.
Listening to too much Slayer and you might wind up "South of Heaven".
 

·
Go Aggies
Joined
·
55 Posts
So an early-bird RR I was riding along and this guy ended up in the group, he had headphone's on. I asked him what he was listening to (thinking he was not racing but cought up in the group, he couldn't even hear me.). Finally I YELLED, "are you racing?", and he took an earphone out and said, Hu? then responed yes he was in fact racing in a Cat 3 race with an IPod. Stupid very Stupid. It got Hilly and I never saw him again (A good thing). My 2c

Garrett
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top