Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
No comment on IRD, but glad you asked

I have been meaning to ask a question about chains myself. There are chains from Wipperman, IRD, Campy Shimano, etc.

Can't imagine that any of them are any better than the others, I have never been much on the sanctity of chains as part of the drivetrain palaver. I was thinking of a Wipperman next time, didn't actually think about IRD.

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
I've used one and it was fine. Many poor reviews about the teflon coated version. I'd steer clear of that one.

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Although chains aren't THE most critical part of the drivetrain (unless they break) they do have a noticeable affect. Some work better with certain combinations than others. Some are noiser. Some shift better with certain derailleur, crank, chainring, cassette, geometry combos than others. Some last longer. Some break more often. Some look prettier (only if kept clean). Some are lighter. There are better and worse chains for virtually every application but one that's bad for a certain setup may be good with another.

I've used IRD, KMC, Shimano, Sachs, SRAM and Campy chains and they all work(ed). I've never used a Wipperman because I can't bring myself to pay that much. I've also use a variety of links to connect those chains, and they all worked.

My best working drivetrains have usually been where the manufacturer of the chain is the same as the rest of the drivetrain, but the differences are often subtle and of little real note. I have had some pretty crappy working drivetrains that I can definitely attribute to a compatibility issue between the chain and the rest of the drivetrain. Even these have "worked", just not to my liking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.