Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to Ireland with the wife (both of us cycle/race) and planning on taking the bikes. I've researched the site, but haven't found too much information on cycling in Ireland. Anyone with experiences doing this?

We'll be based in Limerick (her hometown) and staying with family....none of the family are cyclists, though. I've looked up the Limerick Cycling Club, but could not find a way to contact anyone there. Saw they have group rides on the weekend, but was hoping to find some good local rides (40-100 miles) to do during the week.

I know this is a pretty broad question, but any/all suggestions, tips, etc. would be great.

mike

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
I've been to Ireland a couple of times, most recently last summer. We did a lot of hiking, but no cycling except rental bikes on the Aran Islands. However, my brother brought his travel bike (Bike Friday) last summer and rode several times in the Galway/Connemara area.

My impressions are that you should be very brave and streetwise riding in Ireland. Most of the roads are very narrow with no shoulders, often with hedges or rock walls close to the road edges. And, of course, they drive on the opposite side of the road. My brother was forced off the road several times on his rides.

The upside is that there is not much traffic on most roads and the scenery is beautiful to spectacular. Just be aware of what you are getting into -- narrow, windy roads with little margin of safety. Make sure you get some good maps as it would be very easy to get lost there.

·
Registered
714 Posts

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
morkm said:
Heading to Ireland with the wife (both of us cycle/race) and planning on taking the bikes. I've researched the site, but haven't found too much information on cycling in Ireland. Anyone with experiences doing this?

We'll be based in Limerick (her hometown) and staying with family....none of the family are cyclists, though. I've looked up the Limerick Cycling Club, but could not find a way to contact anyone there. Saw they have group rides on the weekend, but was hoping to find some good local rides (40-100 miles) to do during the week.

I know this is a pretty broad question, but any/all suggestions, tips, etc. would be great.

mike
was in Stab City two years ago for work. Grim.

the roads seemed ok for riding, once you headed north. iirc, there was at least one, if not two, half decent looking shops in the VERY smal city center. i'd look 'em uop and shoot them an email/call.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've been over a few times, but it's been years now. My wife is from there, but didn't do much cycling. I've located a website for Limerick Cycling Club, but no contact information.

I did find a few routes on one of the bike-my-ride sites. May have to get an Edge 705 between now and next week, figure out how to use it and then go for it.

We may also take the bikes with us to Prague and try to ride Prague to Vienna on the "Greenway." Probably be good to have the Garmin for that, too.

Thanks again.
mike

·
Registered
346 Posts
The thing about Britain and Ireland is that there is an huge network of quiet country lanes - all you really need is a good map, and it should be possible to make fantastic loops, avoiding busy roads (and avoiding/choosing hills depending on preference). Maps designed for tourists or car drivers don't really give the full scale of the lane network - 1:50000 scale maps are much better, and they usually include lots of topographic and tourist info which helps when planning rides: http://www.irishmaps.ie/ProductListingM.cfm?SeriesID=11

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey Mike.

Ahhh Ireland. I visited just before I turned 30, quit my job, took my bike with 2 friends for 30 days clockwise from Dublin to Dublin.

I didn't stay in Limerick, but I did manage to get lost in Donegal. Thats another story.

So, try to do some of these day trips, even if you have to bus to the start.

Doolin Peninsula (see if Fengi is still alive, and enjoy connors pass)
Ring of Kerry
Aran Islands via the cliffs of Moor (sp? I forget me gaelic). Dun Angus is tops.
County Mayo, up to Sligo, check out the ancient cairms

Galoway; I didn't have a great time there, but EVERYBODY seems to dig this place, I think I just had a bad day.

Cong: Filmed quiet man there (John Wayne). Nice little place with caves to explore.

One of my lifes highlights, for sure. I did the coastline, so when I come back, I'll explore the bogs and lachs of the interior. I hope you have at least 1/2 as magical time as I did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.