Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone here using a Jamie Roy for light cyclocross?

I was looking at getting one as mostly a commuter/around towner, but wanted to know if it would be any good offroad. The geometery seems to be pretty good, though I could be wrong.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
dirt rag

dirt rag magazine reviewed it a couple months ago, they seemed pleased. I've never seen one built in stock form, but I've seen the frameset and thought it looked good. more than adequate tire clearance, high bb, cable routed on top. rear canti bridge too. not overly portly for a steel frame.

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure it is that the same bike? The Jamie Roy is aluminum.

I mostly want to ride it as a fixed gear, but I was just wondering if I flipped the hub to the free wheel and threw on some knobbies if the bike would hold up and handle ok.

· More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
StormShadow said:

I mostly want to ride it as a fixed gear, but I was just wondering if I flipped the hub to the free wheel and threw on some knobbies if the bike would hold up and handle ok.
The Rob Roy is the cross bike. The Jamie Roy probably doesn't have much front tire clearance. Plus the brakes are caliper -- another clearance issue but not if you go brakeless. I'd probably say no go on the Jamie because of limited tire selection and poor geometry.

The Rob Roy looks great, though.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
woops.

StormShadow said:

I I thought I read rob roy, obviously not. as has been noted below, you want cantis if youll be in the mud with fat tires. geometry looks very similair and it says it'll take 38c tires so its probably doable, but not ideal. I've seen people race steamrollers though, so it's not unheard of. dirt rag reviewed the JR too. if you havent read it it's <a href="http://www.dirtragmag.com/print/article.php?ID=624&category=stuff_reviews">here</a>.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.