Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
IRO Jamie Roy or 80's Japanese Steel..

for my fist SS/Fixe? Only for commuting, pulling kids and coffee runs.

I think aluminum will be better for rainly condtions and overall durability form knicks and crap. The older steel frame from Azuki that was poweder coated and rust free inside.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
metal don't matter

Steel's plenty durable. In fact, re "knicks and crap," alu tubes are usually thinner-walled, so they dent easier. Pick the one you like. I'd pick the older steel bike, myself, 'cause I think it's fun to build nice useful things out of old stuff. More soul.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,723 Posts
I'd go for the steel. Like JCavilia said, steel is the more duable of the two and rust isn't a problem if you take minimal care of your bike. And since the frame is treated and coated it should be a non-issue. My first fixie was a junkyard salvage and I still regret selling it. I'd go for the steel if it is in decent condition every time.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
junkyard salvage

VaughnA said:
I'd go for the steel. Like JCavilia said, steel is the more duable of the two and rust isn't a problem if you take minimal care of your bike. And since the frame is treated and coated it should be a non-issue. My first fixie was a junkyard salvage and I still regret selling it. I'd go for the steel if it is in decent condition every time.
My first fixie was a $5 garage-sale special. Nothing fancy, it was a cheap bike when it was new in the 70's (Rampar), but it rides great. I still ride it, a lot.

My second was saved from the dumpster. An Atala city bike (with mostly Campy components), it belonged to the father of a friend, and probably dates from the early 60's. I switched it to drop bars, added fenders and rack, and made it my rain commuter/errand bike. Rides sweet. I've probably put 6000 miles on it since the conversion.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
tobu said:
cannot resist...

Are you in the neighborhood of 20' in height?
Oh. Didn't get it for a minute.

Maybe it's this one:

edit: no fair, DirtBoy; you fixed it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
DIRT BOY said:
for my fist SS/Fixe? Only for commuting, pulling kids and coffee runs.

I think aluminum will be better for rainly condtions and overall durability form knicks and crap. The older steel frame from Azuki that was poweder coated and rust free inside.
Steel's more durable when it comes to knicks and crap. And it rides better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.