Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Too much is bad for

Your liver.

The supposed benefit is to help your body produce more red blood cells.

From what I've read, it will not help unless you are anemic in the first place.

Too much iron can cause a host of problems therefore you may want to have your feritin levels tested prior to experimenting.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Giantcyclist said:
Your liver.

The supposed benefit is to help your body produce more red blood cells.

From what I've read, it will not help unless you are anemic in the first place.

Too much iron can cause a host of problems therefore you may want to have your feritin levels tested prior to experimenting.
bad for your heart as well. they only include it in women's supplements because they bleed each month. unless you are bleeding yourself or have anemia then additional iron isn't needed.

· Registered
1 Posts
Anyone know about a product called EP-NO?

Does anyone know anything about an Iron product by Dedicated Athlete called EP-NO?

My Doc showed me that my hematocrit was only 39 a few months back, so I started taking a product called 'Gentle Iron' , and right away I improved somewhat. But that item has been discontinued recently.:rolleyes:

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Define anemic

Bocephus Jones II said:
bad for your heart as well. they only include it in women's supplements because they bleed each month. unless you are bleeding yourself or have anemia then additional iron isn't needed.
There are a few studies reporting typically low Hct levels in endurance athletes. Not clinically anemic, but at the low end of normal. A number of people have reported good results from iron supplementation whent their Hct was on the low end, and a numer of coaches are recommending iron. If your iron levels are high and you're not engaged in endurance activities, then your warning is appropriate. For many cyclists who do a lot of miles, iron supplementation or a strong focus on dietary iron is a good idea.

My Hct has been on the low side of 40 for a few years, and my wife recommended that I try iron - she had been mildly anemic and had a good experience with supplements. While the data is not all in, my first time trial of the year was the second fastest I've done in over two years, and my times normally improve during the season.

· It's all ball bearings
5,285 Posts
Interesting.

Kerry Irons said:
There are a few studies reporting typically low Hct levels in endurance athletes. Not clinically anemic, but at the low end of normal. A number of people have reported good results from iron supplementation whent their Hct was on the low end, and a numer of coaches are recommending iron. If your iron levels are high and you're not engaged in endurance activities, then your warning is appropriate. For many cyclists who do a lot of miles, iron supplementation or a strong focus on dietary iron is a good idea.

My Hct has been on the low side of 40 for a few years, and my wife recommended that I try iron - she had been mildly anemic and had a good experience with supplements. While the data is not all in, my first time trial of the year was the second fastest I've done in over two years, and my times normally improve during the season.
Interesting to read this. I've been borderline anemic (don't know the actual figure) for over 12 years, first tested low before I ever got into any endurance sports. Maybe I'll give iron supplementation a try, if you say that you've had positive results. Does iodine also help with this or am I thinking of something else?

· Registered
400 Posts
BenWA said:
Interesting to read this. I've been borderline anemic (don't know the actual figure) for over 12 years, first tested low before I ever got into any endurance sports. Maybe I'll give iron supplementation a try, if you say that you've had positive results. Does iodine also help with this or am I thinking of something else?
Iodine is usually for thyroid problems. Better go back to the doctor and get check before starting any supplementing.

· Registered
19 Posts
iron, iodine

I've had issues with both low red blood cell count and thyroid issues at different times.

Low Red Blood Cell/Iron

From reading about the low blood cell/iron level count on the web and in books, I picked up that many endurance athletes suffer from low iron levels and can go anemic. From what I remember, this is especially true during warmer climates and during a block of intensity. Many suggestions were to simply 'eat a steak.' :) but I found out that if I carefully supplemented Iron into my system, it wasn't an issue.

They make 60 mg tablets of Iron that you can purchase at your local drug store. Vitamin C helps absorb Iron into your system so if you take it with a glass of OJ, it's more effective. This worked for me but before doing this, I would consult with a physician.

I would suggest to NOT take the 60 mg tablets after you start recovering from your low energy since the recomended value is like 10mg a day or something. Your liver and kidney will have to work overtime. You'll know when you have too much iron in your system with your poo is hard and black and you are constipated.

------

Thyroid Issues.

I was having Thyroid issues as a result from allergies and hard training and the medical doctors gave me all kinds of meds that normally were ineffective and/or made me feel weird. I read some holistic medicine journals and they suggested I take Kelp for Iodine and the amino acid Tyrosine to help produce Thyroid gland activity. I noticed an immediate rectification of the issue and got back to normal training. You can tell if you have an underactive thyroid if your tempature remains low for an extended period of time. And your throat will hurt like you have mono.

· a thorn in RBR's side
116 Posts
re

It seems everyone is somewhat anemic. I've been taking 60mg over the counter ferrous sulfate for the last 2 years, and it doesn't make a bit of a difference on HCT. My iron level is normal, but some RBC values are still low, including HCT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.