Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Iron and it's benefits

1K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Woof the dog 
Interesting.

Kerry Irons said:
There are a few studies reporting typically low Hct levels in endurance athletes. Not clinically anemic, but at the low end of normal. A number of people have reported good results from iron supplementation whent their Hct was on the low end, and a numer of coaches are recommending iron. If your iron levels are high and you're not engaged in endurance activities, then your warning is appropriate. For many cyclists who do a lot of miles, iron supplementation or a strong focus on dietary iron is a good idea.

My Hct has been on the low side of 40 for a few years, and my wife recommended that I try iron - she had been mildly anemic and had a good experience with supplements. While the data is not all in, my first time trial of the year was the second fastest I've done in over two years, and my times normally improve during the season.
Interesting to read this. I've been borderline anemic (don't know the actual figure) for over 12 years, first tested low before I ever got into any endurance sports. Maybe I'll give iron supplementation a try, if you say that you've had positive results. Does iodine also help with this or am I thinking of something else?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.