Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=22007&subcategory_ID=3040

Hey, I'm interested in buying this bike, the Iron Horse Victory Race SE. It appears to be a 2005 model, but it isn't io any catalogue or (apparently) any website other than performancebike where I'd be ordering it from. What can I expect from Iron Horse in terms of frame and fork quality? The component group seems to be pretty adequate (with ample growing room for my needs), and when the time comes I can upgrade the wheels - the components should be able to hold up well past then.

Is it a good investment? What kind of life expectency do Iron Horse frames have? Who rides Iron Horse here?

Thanks in advance,
n1kon

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
My 13 y.o. son has an Iron Horse MTB that he uses as his school commuter. It's your basic low-end, hardtail, aluminum frame MTB (RST fork, Shimano Tourney drivetrain, etc.). We paid <$200 for the bike on year-end clearance at G.I. Joes. We wanted a relatively cheap bike because this thing spends a LOT of time out in the rain.

I do have one complaint about the frame. Two of the waterbottle mounts broke out of the frame the first time I tried to mount a bottle rack, and the other two mounts broke out about a month later. Just a data point. I would expect that their more expensive road frames come from a different supplier (hopefully).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Iron Horse makes some fine mid-range and upper mid-range MTBs. Given the previous posters experience, it sounds like they run the gamut quality wise on the low end.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
direktor said:
Iron Horse makes some fine mid-range and upper mid-range MTBs. Given the previous posters experience, it sounds like they run the gamut quality wise on the low end.
From what I've seen in stores like Sport Chek, the mid-upper range Iron Horses are decently constructed. I haven't seen any with carbon stays in person, but I don't imagine they should be any exception.

The lower end bikes (like the ones they keep outside) are definately your run of the mill Wal-Mart type; sloppy welds, poor looking brazings, etc.

Thanks for the comments

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
I should add that the welds on the frame of my son's Iron Horse look nice. In fact I half suspect that the frame came from the same supplier as my Trek 3700 because the welds look virtually identical. Perhaps the ten year old installing bottle mounts the day my son's IH frame was made was a trainee :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Iron Horse Vicroty SE Race is a decent bike

I had one for a few days before I switched it for a Scattante R660 double. It's a nice bike - Kinesis frame, ultregra components, Shimano R550 wheels and easton components (Seatpost, stem and handlbar). I am a weight weenie so I went with the R660 because it's 18lbs and the Iron Horse was 22lbs. You will not find much on the bike because it's specially made for Performance. Look at Iron Horse's website and it's comparable to the other Iron Horse bikes, it's just rebadged.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
CLTRD said:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=22007&subcategory_ID=3040

Hey, I'm interested in buying this bike, the Iron Horse Victory Race SE. It appears to be a 2005 model, but it isn't io any catalogue or (apparently) any website other than performancebike where I'd be ordering it from. What can I expect from Iron Horse in terms of frame and fork quality? The component group seems to be pretty adequate (with ample growing room for my needs), and when the time comes I can upgrade the wheels - the components should be able to hold up well past then.

Is it a good investment? What kind of life expectency do Iron Horse frames have? Who rides Iron Horse here?

Thanks in advance,
n1kon

If you're ordering from Performance... It takes a pretty decent mechanic to get that bike from "dealer-ready" condition, to "ride-ready" condition. A shop would probably charge you 50ish bucks to put it together... unless you were planning on doing it yourself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my wife an iron horse a couple years ago. We have not had any problems with it. I upgraded her wheels to mavics kysriums and put ultegra 10 components. It is a solid frame may be a little heavy but does the job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts