Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'm planning on doing the Augusta Ga Iron Man in September. Anyone here done one in the past?
I did IM Augusta a few years ago and here's what I suggest:

A good 1st 70.3 event, the swim is a breeze. Stay toward the middle where the current is stronger and you might have the fastest 1.2M swim of your life. Watch out for the eel grass, particularly in the shallower section, it will wrap around your goggles and annoy you, ruining a great swim.

The bike is good, but a bit hilly if you are not riding on a lot of them where you live. They were more challenging for someone like myself from Orlando where hills are hard to come by. Watch for the guy at about the halfway point in SC sitting in his yard with a sign saying "Thank you for ruining my life" or some stuff like that, basically complaining that he cannot just speed on down the road with all the cyclists in the way. Also, right next door will be a nice family with a sign saying "Welcome cyclists" with a couple of young girls handing out water. Two drink/water stations on the course at good locations (the first is on a slight upward gradient, the other on a flat section.

The run is okay, good for spectators, asphalt streets which are curved for rain runoff. Good support on the course, about every 1.5 to 2 miles of the course. It's 2 laps though, a bit depressing to pass the very visible finish line only to have one more lap to go.

The transition is about a mile from the finishline, so don't take the whole kitchen to the transition location; you will have to schelp all that stuff back on either your bike or on foot because they will not let you bring your bike on the bus that takes you from the finishing line to transition. If you can fit your transition equipment in a backpack, you can ride back to the finishing area, if not you have a mile walk. Do not try to park near the transition area, it is a madhouse after the race. One of my friends did not heed that advice and spent 2 hours in a traffic jam trying to get out of the neighborhood.

The weather can vary greatly, the year before I competed it was cold and wet, my race was warm and humid with rain starting about halfway through the run. The town supports the event well, so you probably won't have any unusual problems like people trying to run over people on the course, something I have experienced at other races in central FL.

·
9,790 Posts
I watched IronMan 1 and 2. Robert Downey Jr. was pretty good as IronMan.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of you who gave me quality info. I really mean that. I have six months to prepare. I can handle the swim and bike ride. It will be hard I know and I will make it even harder because I'll be there to friggin compete! The problem right now is my cardio and running. Im about 90 pounds over weight. I'll be ready for the ride im the normal course of my riding season. I can ride 56 miles at 260lbs. I cannot however run 13 miles at even 220. So I have my work cut out for me. I WILL NOT be denied though. Had my first workout today at the gym and as you might expect it wasn't pleasant. It just is going to be hard.
Thanks folks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.