Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this may be what happens when my schedule changes back and forth from nights to days and back and back again, or when i get too much or not enough sleep, or when i don't have to study 20 hours on a weekend for a monday morning test. WTF.

tires and fenders

i'm thinking about refitting Len's old gunnar fixie with fenders and big tires. in the past, i've used and liked planet bike fenders. the other boards on this site are not my happy places so i figured on asking you guys for recommendations. bigger tires (not huge, like keep it in the x20's, maybe x28) at a less than outrageous price would be good. what say ye about tires and fenders? and can i find the PB or other fenders in silver?

irons and ironing boards

nightly for 20 minutes and every weekend for an hour i iron and starch school stuff using a $12 board and $15 iron bought at wallmart. there were others there and target, with both items going for up to $100. what is really the difference between a $15 iron or board and one that costs upwards of $100? if i get through school, the uniforms are polyester so i don't figure on ironing for much more than another TEN weeks. but...

marriage

i don't get marriage. maybe i've been through the ringer and can't see things the way alot of other people (most?) do, but how is this the ultimate goal of a relationship? IMHO all things are temporary (based on the dynamic nature of life and the finite length of same). the only things i see in the ceremony and technicality is a legal sharing of ownership of things, and dual insurance (medical, vehicle, etc). having been with my ex wife 14 years it's not something i wish to revisit, though i am keeping in mind that not everybody is my ex wife.

chucksbikes.com

not that i have any money to spend on anything other than bills (and it's going to get desperate after i file taxes--i OWE, bigtime), but upon perusing chucksbikes.com this morning it seems he's closed his doors. i bought an unmarked look kg286 from him years ago and it was my favorite frame ever (until i chain sucked it to an early death). WTF happened to his site? and are there any others like it out there?

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Whoa there, deep cleansing breath...

SKS fenders come in silver - REI has 'em. If you're a doofus and drop one of the nuts (no kode), the leftover nuts from a presta valve are the same thread. But that's just a guess. :)

We've had the same pretty inexpensive iron and board for years. I don't know why I'd need something better, but some people don't understand bikes that cost over a hundred bucks either.

Hang in there - I can't even imagine swapping days and nights like that. Don't tase me, bro!

·
The Original and The Best
1,294 Posts
I have a $15 iron and lay a folded towel over my coffee table. I really need a small ironing board to get the sleeves right.

// I'd hit it.

·
Non non normal
10,102 Posts
panaracer paselas tg in 28s are bulletproof and ride decent. Hondo fenders are upscale.
I don't iron, therefore I don't know.

That is all I got.

PS Marriage is forever, at least that is what I am hoping.

·
Hermia commutes
1,496 Posts
I upgraded my ironing board by folding an old towel beneath the pad. I have no idea what an expensive board gets you.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bigrider said:
panaracer paselas tg in 28s are bulletproof and ride decent. Hondo fenders are upscale.
I don't iron, therefore I don't know.

That is all I got.

PS Marriage is forever, at least that is what I am hoping.
wire bead or TG with kevlar? prices 14 vs 30$.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
wire bead. wtf it's a commuter tire right? who needs a folding bead, you going across the continent and taking spares?

/ rant

·
Non non normal
10,102 Posts
haiku d'etat said:
wire bead or TG with kevlar? prices 14 vs 30$.

The only diff in the TG wire and folding is the weight and the cost. It is like 20 vrs. 33 bucks.

The non tourguard wire bead is the cheapest but I think the Tourguard is worth the extra bucks.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i have nothing to add except that ironing sucks. i doubt there is much difference between the "good" irons and the "not good" irons.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
The best irons are made of titanium with carbon fiber handles.

·
Failboat Captian
6,527 Posts
a) For commuting I like my Conti City Contacts.

b) Ironing boards - more expensive doesn't wake the dead with fingernails on a chalboard every time you open it?? Also a better fabric and padding on top. But you can buy better ones and put them on a cheap ironing board. Better irons maintain their temp better, steam works better (and more steam settings) and have a teflon surface that slides across the clothes better. They even have cordless now, which is nice I guess. I want a CF ironing board!

c) Married? To have and raise kids and not have to deal with dating any more (just ask some lownjers about dating)

d) I have no idea

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Marriage

Think of marriage as an ultra hard criterium. You know that you're gonna get the crap kicked out of you. You know that you're gonna suffer. You know that it ain't gonna end well. You know that you're gonna feel bad when it's over. And yet, you keep signing up each week, hoping that this week it's gonna be different. And do you know what? Some weeks it is different.
Never give up. Keep trying. The day you should give up, is the day you no longer have room in your crawl space.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Never give up. Keep trying. The day you should give up, is the day you no longer have room in your crawl space.
words to live by

·
banned from the museum
6,622 Posts
chucksbikes.com was one of my favorite online bike stores. I was really sad to see them go. I got some good stuff at great prices during the closeout sale, but I would have preferred to see chucksbikes stay open.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.