Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In yet another attempt to stimulate the economy, I need a new iron. Now, being a capitalistic pig, I understand why there might be some that cost more than others - but does a $150 iron really do a much better job on my shirt than the el-cheapo that seemed just fine for the last decade? What are all the must-have features that all the <del>cool kids</del> soccer moms have to have these days?

Clarification: Yes, I am male, yet iron my own shirts.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
For me it's more about how lightweight it is, some of those suckers must weigh 20 pounds. Last one I bought was a cheapo Black and Decker at Target.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
kykr13 said:
I'm with you bro- I'm the best ironer in the family :thumbsup:

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
I iron my own too....and i refuse to buy anything but 100% cotton......as for the iron....I wouldn't spend more that 25 bucks and NEVER, but NEVER use anything but distilled water in it.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
if you really cared about low impact living, you would arrange your life such that you never need an iron.

hth.

Creaky.

or, just get one from a garage sale.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Creakyknees said:
if you really cared about low impact living, you would arrange your life such that you never need an iron.
I have not yet been able to get the coveted "work from home" status, so my wrinkle-free sweat pants and bunny slippers haven't seen much action. Ahh... Some day...

Yeah, lightweight iron. As contradictory as that sounds, it'll work. Extra bonus --- lower carbon footprint with shipping it. So, low impact here I come.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
kykr13 said:
I have not yet been able to get the coveted "work from home" status, so my wrinkle-free sweat pants and bunny slippers haven't seen much action. Ahh... Some day...
I tried, but those stupit HIPAA rules got in the way. Dumb old patient info....

·
done
3,293 Posts
"Wrinkle Free". Or "No Iron".

Land's End comes to mind as a source for good quality no-iron shirts.

Pull them out of the drier (lowest heat). Put on a hanger. I haven't had to iron a shirt in almost a year. The best is that you can put them back in the drier for 10 minutes, and you'll still get the same effect. Great for business travel.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Funny you mention this. I just bought a cheapo iron from Target... the $9.99 colorful translucent plastic one. I hate it. Water sloshes out of the reservoir all over my shirts. Poorly designed. Buy the $20 one.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
kykr13 said:
In yet another attempt to stimulate the economy, I need a new iron. Now, being a capitalistic pig, I understand why there might be some that cost more than others - but does a $150 iron really do a much better job on my shirt than the el-cheapo that seemed just fine for the last decade? What are all the must-have features that all the <del>cool kids</del> soccer moms have to have these days?

Yes, yes!

I have a 40 euro 2 year old Bosch that does the job, my mom's 100 euro Phillips is just a lot better. It slides over the fabric much smoother, it doesn't leak like the Bosch, it gets the job done quicker. Oh and a good ironing board helps as well. I iron a lot of shirts so the next iron will be a more expensive piece.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Love Commander said:
"Wrinkle Free". Or "No Iron".

Land's End comes to mind as a source for good quality no-iron shirts.

Pull them out of the drier (lowest heat). Put on a hanger. I haven't had to iron a shirt in almost a year. The best is that you can put them back in the drier for 10 minutes, and you'll still get the same effect. Great for business travel.
I've had several no-iron shirts, and while they do a better job than standard cotton, for me there is a clear difference with a properly ironed shirt. I've avoided no-iron shirts as I would iron them anyway and the no-iron treatment often has an adverse effect on durability.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
a tip.....take the shirts off first whether you are steaming OR ironing........just saying

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
You can buy tire irons for a couple bucks at most bike shops. I like the plastic ones because they don't scratch your rims, plus they're lighter.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
You can buy tire irons for a couple bucks at most bike shops. I like the plastic ones because they don't scratch your rims, plus they're lighter.
and they double as collar stays........

·
hit it
4,006 Posts
I'm hitting a set of Adams A3's for a couple years now. I got them used for under $200. I'm going to spend a few Saturdays taking lessons this winter, I got a great deal on a package.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
NUTT said:
I'm going to spend a few Saturdays taking lessons this winter
I pretty much rule at ironing already, but who's to say I wouldn't pick up a thing or two with some lessons.

Server issues? :confused:

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
I leave them on my front porch once a week. My drycleaner picks them up at the house and brings them back the next day all clean and wrinkle free.

I think my wife has an iron...if I waxed my own skis, I'd know for sure...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts