·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or not that big a deal?

·
Cycling Addict
5,178 Posts
If you live in Florida, or on Long Island... sure. If you live in Vermont, Colorado, Montana... no. It is all relative.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Meters? If you mean feet it's child's play. Meters would be in line with mountainous terrain.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Let's get some math involved!

First assumption is that your first goal is to boost your climbing numbers.

6% grade is pretty much the limit for federal highways so that's a good start for a good definition of a hill. 0.06 * 5280' = 316.8'/mi. Next assumption is that you're going door-to-door for your rides and what goes up must come down. So coming back will be all downhill so you'll average 158.4'/mi. Then we'll assume 15mph overall. That's a lot of assumptions but you have to start somewhere...

(20,000'/mo) / (158.4'/mi) = 126.3 mi/mo => 8.42 hr/mo => ~2 hr/wk

But that's basically hill repeats which isn't exactly fun. If you mix 50/50 flats and hills then you'll roughly double your expected monthly numbers.

~ 250 mi/mo => 17 hr/mo => 4 hr/wk

Those numbers would keep going up if you have a higher ratio of flats to climbs.

So, in summary, like everyone else said, it's not necessarily bragging rights territory, but it's not a number to be embarrassed by either. But that's only if climbing numbers are your only goal. If you have other priorities like time on a trainer, competing in (flat) races, taking leisurely rides with your kids, commuting to work, etc. then you may have less time/effort available to devote to climbing in which case I'd say it's a pretty significant achievement for a low(er) priority goal.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
It is wholly inadequate, almost beneath contempt. You should be ashamed that you asked.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
If you live in Florida, or on Long Island... sure. If you live in Vermont, Colorado, Montana... no. It is all relative.
Where I am in southern NJ, you'd have to work at it to get in 20K feet per month. Averaging about 100 miles a week I probably get at best 10K a month unless I get in the car and go somewhere hilly

·
Registered
34 Posts
Where I am in southern NJ, you'd have to work at it to get in 20K feet per month. Averaging about 100 miles a week I probably get at best 10K a month unless I get in the car and go somewhere hilly
That's so sad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Let's get some math involved!

First assumption is that your first goal is to boost your climbing numbers.

6% grade is pretty much the limit for federal highways so that's a good start for a good definition of a hill. 0.06 * 5280' = 316.8'/mi. Next assumption is that you're going door-to-door for your rides and what goes up must come down. So coming back will be all downhill so you'll average 158.4'/mi. Then we'll assume 15mph overall. That's a lot of assumptions but you have to start somewhere...

(20,000'/mo) / (158.4'/mi) = 126.3 mi/mo => 8.42 hr/mo => ~2 hr/wk

But that's basically hill repeats which isn't exactly fun. If you mix 50/50 flats and hills then you'll roughly double your expected monthly numbers.

~ 250 mi/mo => 17 hr/mo => 4 hr/wk

Those numbers would keep going up if you have a higher ratio of flats to climbs.

So, in summary, like everyone else said, it's not necessarily bragging rights territory, but it's not a number to be embarrassed by either. But that's only if climbing numbers are your only goal. If you have other priorities like time on a trainer, competing in (flat) races, taking leisurely rides with your kids, commuting to work, etc. then you may have less time/effort available to devote to climbing in which case I'd say it's a pretty significant achievement for a low(er) priority goal.
That should wrap up the hook, line and sinker award on this troll.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Last year I completed 11 out of the 12 Strava monthly climbing challenges. The easiest was 18K ft the hardest was 36K ft for the month.

All I can say is I had fun doing them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That should wrap up the hook, line and sinker award on this troll.
Maybe. I like to try and give the OP the benefit of the doubt when I can. And who knows how many lurkers have a legitimate question but only see snarky answers? So I tried to reinterpret the numbers into something that might be easier to grasp. And it was a fun little exercise for myself.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Maybe. I like to try and give the OP the benefit of the doubt when I can. And who knows how many lurkers have a legitimate question but only see snarky answers? So I tried to reinterpret the numbers into something that might be easier to grasp. And it was a fun little exercise for myself.
given the OPs track record though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts