Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Formerly BianchiSteel
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering...if 220-230# is "too much" for a CF frame/fork to handle now?

All I've ever heard is that us bigger guys can't do the CF thing. Is that (still) true?

Thanks.

·
Non non normal
10,092 Posts
I wished I weighed 220. I have two CF frames and have put well over 10K on one with no troubles. Just don't get one built for some little hill climbing weasel. Also, don't put 28 spoke lightweight wheels on it either.

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
Truth Hurts said:
The only weight limits I have seen are on carbon forks, carbon seatposts and carbon saddles. YMMV
Now that's interesting. Not so long ago a LBS salesman recommended a Specialized Sequoia Elite to me. This bike had carbon forks, seat stays, and a seat post. I weigh 235-240# but he seemed to think it would be fine, even when I mentioned that I would like to do some touring.

Of course this is a salesman we are talking about :rolleyes: But still, it would be nice to hear reports one way or the other from clydesdales who actually ride bikes with C-F frames or parts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know a guy that weighs 240+ and is 6'6" tall. He had Waterford build him a frame (65 cm). They said he was fine with a carbon fork but NOT a carbon steer tube. He has had the bike 4 years now with no problems.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
undies said:
Now that's interesting. Not so long ago a LBS salesman recommended a Specialized Sequoia Elite to me. This bike had carbon forks, seat stays, and a seat post. I weigh 235-240# but he seemed to think it would be fine, even when I mentioned that I would like to do some touring.

Of course this is a salesman we are talking about :rolleyes: But still, it would be nice to hear reports one way or the other from clydesdales who actually ride bikes with C-F frames or parts.

I have over 7000 miles on an aluminum bike with a 1" carbon fiber steer tube, carbon fiber forks, and carbon fiber seat post. I also ride a titanium-rail saddle. I am 6'7", and was over 300 when I started riding this setup. I am down to less than 270 right now. I have never had any problems with any of it. By the way, I have over 1" of spacers in my headset, and use this bike for commuting. I am a very careful rider though. I don't hit stuff very often. YMMV

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I'm 6'4.5" 230

and have been riding a 1"CF steer tubed fork as well. only 1 small spacer though. Big riders and high stack aren't the best decision with all CF forks. Run a positive stem or get a freuler style head tube. usually larger riders have to run higher stack because they are getting sold a frame that is usually a tad short since most mfrs and retailers have little over 60 cm

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
Not reading it right

undies said:
Truth Hurts was not saying that ALL CF parts had weight limitations. He was saying that he had only seen weight limitations on CF components, not frames. See the difference?

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
atpjunkie said:
Big riders and high stack aren't the best decision with all CF forks. Run a positive stem or get a freuler style head tube. usually larger riders have to run higher stack because they are getting sold a frame that is usually a tad short since most mfrs and retailers have little over 60 cm
Exactly. I am not recommending doing what I do, by the way. My frame is a 63 C-T, and I should probably be riding a 66. I only throw this out to say that with most components, unless they are crazy light, you won't have a problem. I wouldn't recommend CF rims, of any kind though.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I agree, most (except the superlight)

will survive. I just wouldn't wanna be pushing 40 in a bunch sprint and have my steer tube fail somewhere between the top of the headset and stem/.That would hurt.

oh and an FYI my big brethren No Ti Spindles on BBs and pedals

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
High Cadence said:
Sweet, thanks for the info!
My Calfee is 6 years and about 12K mi. old and during that time I have varied between 195 and 210. No frame problems, the original fork has been replaced.

·
Registered
376 Posts
You should be fine

I rode a Trek OCLV for 4 years with no issues. I am 6'5", 250 lbs, and the biggest issue I had with the bike was it was only a 62cm (the biggest they made). I have since moved to a Seven custom, which fits more like a 65cm bike so is much better. I have the full carbon fork on the bike, with NO issues in the past two years. I have about 3cm of spacers on top of the headset, but my frame also has a 1cm headtube extension.

I never went the carbon seatpost route as I have been a Thomson rider for years. On the carbon frame a carbon post seemed overkill (especially since saving weight was, well, stupid at my size). Might be a nice upgrade on my Seven, but ride quality is still great with the Thomson so why change?

I also agree with the others that the one place to avoid carbon is on the wheels. At our size the superlight climbing wheels just don't make sense. I made the switch to handbuilts and love them, but I also rode plenty of factory wheels that were nice, fast, and great looking. I just stayed away from the stupid light, low spoke count wheels.

While I never rode them, I know there are a lot of Clydesdales who post on RBR that ride Look frames. You may want to do a search and check out why.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Contact Manufacturer...

I recently asked (by email) the same question of Scott (re their CR1) who replied "there is no weight limit on our CR1 frames". Ditto our local Specialized distributor (re their S-Works Tarmac), same advice. Pick frame/s that you like and go straight to the source...check out their frame warranty conditions too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts