Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought some new nitto noodle bar s(26.0 mm clamp diameter) to use with an old nitto technium stem (25.4 mm clamp diameter) I had laying around. When I realized the difference I went ahead and tried to insert the bars. I was able to spread the stem slightly allowing me to do this. But I wondered whether this extra 0.6 mm is going to put too much stress on the stem clamp causing it to break. I can obviously order a new stem, but I have been wasting lots of time building this bike. Has anyone heard of a stem breaking under these conditions?

Thank you.
Steve
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,573 Posts
Is a 26.0 handlebar in a 25.4 stem dangerous?

Dangerous?

Square peg in a round hole.

The above combination may cause a rift in the space-time continuum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
Is a 26.0 handlebar in a 25.4 stem dangerous?

Dangerous?

Square peg in a round hole.

The above combination may cause a rift in the space-time continuum.
I can handle the square peg in a round hole as I have felt that way often. However, causing a rift in the space-time continuum is much more serious!

Thanks for the laugh.
 

·
passive/aggressive
Joined
·
236 Posts
I have done it. Cinelli bar in standard stem. All the roadies chastised me and told me about the space time continuum and of course it tore, I met a great woman and now I am my own grandfather. That is tad confusing.

Seriously though, it is a difference of .6mm in diameter. Carbon would scare me stress risers and all but an old cast stem and a noodle bar. Heck you could probably pinch those between two cars at speed and still ride them for years but don't quote me on that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
There are shims which are for this specific purpose (25.4 => 26.0)

Here is a link:
http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=353

That particular site is sold out of them but its just to show you that a product exists to address it.

I wouldnt try this without the shim because even the .6mm is going to be enough to not make a perfect clamp, possibly damage your bars, and probably be a bit less safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ProsperityRed said:
There are shims which are for this specific purpose (25.4 => 26.0)

Here is a link:
http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=353

That particular site is sold out of them but its just to show you that a product exists to address it.

I wouldnt try this without the shim because even the .6mm is going to be enough to not make a perfect clamp, possibly damage your bars, and probably be a bit less safe.
Thanks for the reply, but the shim works when the stem is 26.0 and the handlebar is 25.4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rockcrusher said:
I have done it. Cinelli bar in standard stem. All the roadies chastised me and told me about the space time continuum and of course it tore, I met a great woman and now I am my own grandfather. That is tad confusing.

Seriously though, it is a difference of .6mm in diameter. Carbon would scare me stress risers and all but an old cast stem and a noodle bar. Heck you could probably pinch those between two cars at speed and still ride them for years but don't quote me on that.
While I am inclined to agree with you I decide to go ahead and get a new stem partly because the old one is 12 cm long and I want to shorten that slightly so I order a new Nitto that is 10 cm long.

Thanks for the help everyone!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top