Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
What difference does it make?

Are you just buying it to resell? If you are getting it to ride and it fits its a deal. If you are trying to get advice so you can flip it, its not a deal.
This. :thumbsup:

FWIW, I had one and they were built like tanks. Sold it because they feel like you are riding wood. That was the time when 95.679% of cyclists were riding *lively and springy* steel.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
This. :thumbsup:

FWIW, I had one and they were built like tanks. Sold it because they feel like you are riding wood. That was the time when 95.679% of cyclists were riding *lively and springy* steel.
Like wood? I wonder how much you weigh? My 200SC Kestrel is a wonderful ride. I'm thinking wheel & tire selection plays big here. The bike is lively and a dream ride on Chipseal. Unlike many of New carbon build ups they were not a throw-away frame. $250 could be a great price or not.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I bought a 200 SCi back in 1992. The 200 EMS was the version made out of higher end (for the time), lighter, carbon fiber. I rode the hell out of that bike. It was stiff and had a comfortable ride. I caught a lot of Schit from the "steel is real" crowd at the time about riding a plastic bike. Wonder what they're all riding now? The fork the bike came with was really nice. I had mine built up with 8-speed Dura Ace sti and a set of Campy Vento wheels (which I later got rid of). It qualified as an exotic bike at the time.

For $250, what do you have to lose? You can spend a lot more than that on handle bars.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I'm not so confident in this bike. I used to have one and it was easily one of the best I've ever owned. However, it is old carbon..very old in bike years. My concern is not because it's carbon; It's because of the unknown history behind it. You're taking a risk with any used bike, but a carbon bike is even bigger risk unless you really know the history of the bike. I'm not trying to scare you but I don't want to hear about another cyclists that went down due to frame failure- and that's with any material. If this bike is in great shape with no issues, then you've scored big time. I see these selling in my area for $4-500 easily when you can find one.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I'm not so confident in this bike. I used to have one and it was easily one of the best I've ever owned. However, it is old carbon..very old in bike years. My concern is not because it's carbon; It's because of the unknown history behind it. You're taking a risk with any used bike, but a carbon bike is even bigger risk unless you really know the history of the bike. I'm not trying to scare you but I don't want to hear about another cyclists that went down due to frame failure- and that's with any material. If this bike is in great shape with no issues, then you've scored big time. I see these selling in my area for $4-500 easily when you can find one.
Would you feel any different if it were a Columbus steel bike? Or a titanium bike? How is carbon a "bigger risk"? It's a tough material.

You say its "old carbon", "old in bike years". What's a bike year? Is that like a dog year? Does carbon fiber get old and spoil?

You can tell alot about the history of a bike by looking at it. Any crashes would be evident in the paint job. My 200 SCi used to drop paint if you looked at it funny. Chances are, like most bikes, it probably doesn't have a lot of miles on it. I bet its been sitting, unused, for the last several years.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Carbon is a big risk because with any metal, you can see a crack. A seller couldn't hide that from you. Carbon isn't the case. I love my carbon bikes, but I will only buy if the bike is new or I know for certain that the bike has never been mishandledor crashed. Even a bad enough scratch could render the frame useless..
Bike years is just that..bike years. what I mean by that is that materials have changed and been improved upon over the years. Not saying that it's bad, but you can't go into it think of he material like it is up to modern specs either. Carbon has matured over the years and there have been strides in improving it, like every other material. does it spoil? I think not, but tio say that carbon has an infinite lifespan..which many claim, is BS. Delamination is a serious issue. The clearcoat is that important to the life of the frame. Also, you cannot always tell the history of it just by looking at it. If that were so, people wouldn't have carbon frames failing after a collision, after being told by one or two "experts" that the frame was fine to ride.

Carbon is strong but that depends on it's uses. Try towing a kid's trailer on a carbon road bike. According to the manufacturers, that would void your warranty. Carbon is strong only in certain directions. Carbon on a bike is not the same carbon used on planes. Plane wings= carbon resin, carbon fibers; bicycle= plastic fibers, carbon resin. It might be a bike that has been sitting for years with little use but how do you know that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.