Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I mean couldn't you just your muscles that could be done any number of ways?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I have no idea what the technical definition of a 'recovery ride' is, but I find that if I ride particularly hard and my legs are a little tight the next day, 45 min to an hour of a very light spin (95 RPM at 125w or so for me) on the trainer, or outdoors if the weather is good, usually loosens me up and I feel much better.

I can't speak to the science of it, and it's certainly possible it's all in my head, but doing this seems to make my legs feel better the day after a hard ride.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I've noticed as I've been doing more intense intervals and I need to perform the next day a 30-45 minute recovery does me really well. If I don't do a recovery spin and get back into hard efforts after a rest day they hurt quite a lot more and my legs feel stiff. I really do keep it in Z1 (based on PM, hr below 100 or 110) 95% of the time and a couple quick spinups to shake out the legs. I've found that it's what works for me.

Think about it this way, you're training your body to ride 5-7 days a week. Once you stop riding you are altering your routine again and your body reacts differently and shuts down. This is why tour teams ride 2-4 hours on a "rest day".

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
You recover by lying down/resting/sleeping, not by doing more exercise.

Seems like common sense, but...eh...
As a racer (supposedly), don't you discuss with other racers about tips and techniques?

"cardio can help your body repair muscle damage quicker because it increases blood flow. This helps your body build the muscle back up quicker and remove the waste, which results in an all-around quicker recovery. This is why I always do a cardio session on legs day–it dramatically reduces leg soreness in the days to follow."

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/ge...lifts-cycling-power-353312-3.html#post4999082

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'm not on a tour team so I "rest" on the couch. I've tried "recovery rides" and they have done nothing for me...except to get me out on the bike really slowly. The couch works really well for me.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
As a racer (supposedly), don't you discuss with other racers about tips and techniques?

"cardio can help your body repair muscle damage quicker because it increases blood flow. This helps your body build the muscle back up quicker and remove the waste, which results in an all-around quicker recovery. This is why I always do a cardio session on legs day–it dramatically reduces leg soreness in the days to follow."

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/ge...lifts-cycling-power-353312-3.html#post4999082
Sure. What does any of the rest of that have to do with anything? Whose quote is that, anyways? Sounds quite dumb.

You don't get fitness from recovery rides. You don't recover by doing recovery rides (again, you rest to recover). In fact, it's possible to dig a deeper hole by continually piling on recovery rides when you should just take a day off and relax.

If I'm training 10-12 hours a week, a recovery ride is a complete waste of valuable training time.

There are a number of other ways to increase blood flow. Perhaps you, as a reader (supposedly), can find what some of those are.

A better question would be, who here actually rides seven days a week consistently? Because for all of the people that don't, that recovery ride is an even bigger waste of time.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
:skep: Let me borrow a fellow forum members phrase, "Both are anecdotal examples that mean nothing."
Right, so you don't have any anecdotal evidence, you just cherry pick whatever random crap you can find on the internet and say it must be so because you can read (supposedly).

I love the experts who can't actually do any of the things they're so expert about.

Nothing I do would probably be relevant to you or anyone else, but damn if it doesn't produce some pretty good results for me!

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Sure. What does any of the rest of that have to do with anything? Whose quote is that, anyways?
If you click on that underlined sentence, you would have seen the post with a link to the article which you would have been able to find out who the author is.

Sounds quite dumb.
To you personally. Does that amount to something?

You don't get fitness from recovery rides. You don't recover by doing recovery rides (again, you rest to recover). In fact, it's possible to dig a deeper hole by continually piling on recovery rides when you should just take a day off and relax.
That depends on how one does the recovery ride. Do you walk over to the fridge to get food or stand up cooking during your resting day? I'm sure you do, in which case, you are wasting your opportunity to rest and recover, right? I mean, you are using your muscles to do those tasks instead of just laying in bed. Perhaps you should have a cooler full of foods and drinks (packed the night before) next to your bed and just feed yourself after waking up till you go to sleep again that night, no?

A better question would be, who here actually rides seven days a week consistently? Because for all of the people that don't, that recovery ride is an even bigger waste of time.
Have you talked to the industry experts about the recovery ride? I'm just curious where you are coming from.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts