Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was biking towards downtown on a Sunday afternoon--- a slow day- everything closed here (like a holiday) on a narrow street (no parking on either side). In the lane approaching me was a bus-- stopped to let someone on or off--- and literally, I mean some ONE (a slow day). I saw a vehicle approaching me (happened to be an full-sized SUV--- as opposed to a Micra, for example). I am thinking there is no way the driver will try to pass and run me off the road (into a brick curb)--- but of course she goes for it--- in my lane. As the vehicle is heading straight at me, I have nowhere to go, so I trackstand in front of the vehicle, boxing it in against the bus.

I expected the driver to maybe back up out of my lane, or at least to acknowledge me in some meaningful way... to ingratiate herself as a motivation for me to cooperate with her. Rather she inched forward. I asked her what she was doing. She said she was "passing a bus." I told her that she can't pass the bus when the lane is not clear. At that point she told me that I should be riding on the sidewalk! By now we were plugging traffic, and her comment led to some rather inappropriate language on my part, and some contact with her vehicle.

Are people seriously this stupid? We all screw up once in awhile when driving or whatever... is it really this impossible for someone to admit they are wrong? By the time we finished, this foul-mouthed woman was absolutely furious. Once she said I should be on the sidewalk, I understood that there was no reasoning with her. Or is the idea that since I was on a bike, I should just be "courteous" and let her illegally pass the bus since it was inconveniencing her?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
filtersweep said:
Are people seriously this stupid?
Well, even smart people can be seriously ill-informed and unwilling to learn. To her, you might as well have been someone dribbling a basketball or practicing your golf swing in the middle of a public highway. She considers bicycles as sports equipment at best, children's toys at worst. Either way, she's onbviously convinced that they have no business being operated on a public road. In my experience, only some form of public authority (police, drivers licensing office, etc.) can even hope to change that perception in people like that.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
happens too much- I got buzzed and flipped off by a couple in an audi once on a narrow backroad because I didn't move over far enough for them- forget about the potholes and debris where they wanted me to move (you know that law that says as far to the right as PRACTICAL). Caught up to them at a stop sign and they went through a whole thing about me not being curteous. When it was clear they had no interest in what I was saying, I just said, "So your response to me not being curteous is to try to run me off the road and flip me off?" No response. It ended with me telling them to be back in 90 minutes and I'd come back with my SUV and we could do it again and see how things turn out. I also snapped a picture of their license plate before they left.

but, same idea- shouldn't be on the road. Oh, where I was I was actually doing the speed limit, it was a coming off a downhill.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
"Are people seriously this stupid?"

No. Some are worse. No future in arguing with them. You're very unlikely to change their mind.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My issue is that I was actually traveling the OPPOSITE direction. There is no way I was impeding traffic from behind me--- as there was no one behind me.

I have had a few major run-ins on more suburban roads with impatient drivers passing other vehicles (usually illegally), and running me off the road. There are no shoulders on any of the roads around here (and the vast majority are 2-lanes), so we have to ride in traffic. At least the head-on risk can be seen approaching.

Mdeth1313 said:
happens too much- I got buzzed and flipped off by a couple in an audi once on a narrow backroad because I didn't move over far enough for them- forget about the potholes and debris where they wanted me to move (you know that law that says as far to the right as PRACTICAL). Caught up to them at a stop sign and they went through a whole thing about me not being curteous. When it was clear they had no interest in what I was saying, I just said, "So your response to me not being curteous is to try to run me off the road and flip me off?" No response. It ended with me telling them to be back in 90 minutes and I'd come back with my SUV and we could do it again and see how things turn out. I also snapped a picture of their license plate before they left.

but, same idea- shouldn't be on the road. Oh, where I was I was actually doing the speed limit, it was a coming off a downhill.

·
I've got to get in shape.
282 Posts
"Are people seriously this stupid?"

Yes, they are. If you assume that everyone is stupid, then you are never disappointed in them when they demonstrate their stupidity. Plus, when someone shows that they aren't stupid, you will be pleasantly surprised. On top of that, it can only be safer for you on the road.

Depressing, I guess. But it is survival that we are talking about here.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So the lane was exactly the same size as the SUV such that you weren't capable of getting over to the side and both of you could continue on your way? Or was this just a pissing match?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I wouldn't call it a pissing match...

Would the SUV try that move if there was an oncoming car? Motorcycle? Vespa?.....Probably not, but a bike is ok....

I get his point....

·
Registered
101 Posts
rbart4506 said:
I wouldn't call it a pissing match...

Would the SUV try that move if there was an oncoming car? Motorcycle? Vespa?.....Probably not, but a bike is ok....

I get his point....
If there is space for both vehicles, what the driver did is perfectly fine. If there wasn't space for both vehicles, the driver was wrong. Bicycle = more space. When someone takes the center of the road and refuses to give it up because he thinks he has a god given right to it, that's a pissing match.

·
Teach me how to Bucky
465 Posts
Minjin said:
If there is space for both vehicles, what the driver did is perfectly fine. If there wasn't space for both vehicles, the driver was wrong. Bicycle = more space. When someone takes the center of the road and refuses to give it up because he thinks he has a god given right to it, that's a pissing match.
Ummmm no!

You can't pass a bus by crossing over the yellow line if there is oncoming traffic. Expecting an oncoming car or bike to move right so you can get around a stopped bus is suicide (or homicide).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Minjin said:
The only problem with that is that in my experience, when I try to ride far enough over so that a car can pass me without going into the other lane, they try to pass me at the worst times or pass me too closely, regardless of how much space there is. For instance, I've been overtaken by a car when there was another car coming towards me. So at one time, there are two cars and a bike on a two lane road. Who do you think loses that situation and is run off the road? Also, I almost went over the guardrail of a bridge because even though I was taking the lane, someone thought it would be okay to pass me when there were three cars approaching. The approaching cars had to slam on their brakes and the overtaking car had to hurry and get over, cutting me off and forcing me to the very side of the road.

However, if I take the center of the lane, they have to pass in the oncoming traffic lane. That makes them think a little bit more before they pass me. Btw, there are usually no shoulders on the roads around here or else I would take the shoulder a bit more.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Brad the Bold said:
Ummmm no!

You can't pass a bus by crossing over the yellow line if there is oncoming traffic. Expecting an oncoming car or bike to move right so you can get around a stopped bus is suicide (or homicide).
Sure you can. This is slow city traffic we're talking about here. If I was coming up on a bus from behind and it looked like it wasn't going anywhere anytime soon and there was a car coming but there was plenty of space (and time) for him to get over a bit, I absolutely would pass. Nothing risky about it, at least any more so than any other driving where we assume that the other person has his head screwed on straight.

If there isn't space for both, that's a different story and I said as much already.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Ugh, sorry to read about this. Just reading it makes me want to throw a brick through the driver's windshield. I wish I could say I have no idea what you are talking about, but stuff like this has happened to me so many darn times.

Good on ya for confronting her!

I LOVEEEEEE the "get on the sidewalk" slur. We need to get some t-shirts made up with that on them.

I was actually heading home from a pedal last night, traveling down the road and riding defensively because it's a busy one. Girl in a VW bug comes to a t-stop, with me approaching on her left. She goes to run the stop sign, sees me, considers stopping...then inches out. I kept going. Now she's in front of me, since she blew the stop sign. She looks at me, realizes she should stop...but as she's talking on her cell phone, her impatience overrides her ability to drive and talk. She pulls out and I have to grab my brakes hard. I was kind of pissed, but kind of expected it. I really almost turned around and followed her, as she got caught in a red light right away. I was just going to roll up alongside her and stare her down. She knew what she did. I love that though...almost t-boning me just to get to a red light. For fcuks sakes.

As for saying sorry...I think I've had 1, maybe 2 drivers simply say sorry when they were in the wrong in all of my time cycling. I think it's a psychological thing of not wanting to admit fault. They have the bigger vehicle and therefore more power, so to say sorry is to admit wrong.

And...are people this stupid. The saddest thing for me getting older (I hit 30) is that people don't grow up and get smarter, they just get older. When I was 15, 20, 25, I always thought "adults" acted like adults. Nope, there are tons of grown up dumb fcuks all over the place. It sucks. I'd hoped to be living amongst more considerate people.

Where was this incident, filter? I thought you lived outside the U.S.? Just wondering because of the SUV. Not so many of those outside the US of A.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I feel for you.. at least once a week someone cuts me off on my lunchtime ride. Yesterday I was cruising along at 18mph, the end of my ride, down a long two lane "city" street. A cross street had a stop sign and an SUV pulled up and rolled right through, i came to a stop, and she realized that she cut me off, she stopped, so i started to go again, when she gunned it and caused me to unclip and stop off my bike in the middle of the intersection... i just dont get it... people really need to learn the rules of the road...

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
filtersweep said:
My issue is that I was actually traveling the OPPOSITE direction. There is no way I was impeding traffic from behind me--- as there was no one behind me.

I have had a few major run-ins on more suburban roads with impatient drivers passing other vehicles (usually illegally), and running me off the road. There are no shoulders on any of the roads around here (and the vast majority are 2-lanes), so we have to ride in traffic. At least the head-on risk can be seen approaching.

I was going for the mindset on that one-- I've had people pass cars on roads w/ broken yellow lines, even with me coming the other direction-- usually there's a wide shoulder, but on Rt 7 in CT, some idiots (always in a mercedes- don't know why) can't wait and pull this crap where I've got a foot of room to adjust.

·
Fresh from the china shop
164 Posts
I had a couple of guys pass me a few weeks ago, I was going up a hill at the end of my Sunday ride as far to the right as I could ride. As they went by one yelled out the window at me "Share the Road!". I got mad and was still mad when I got home, then realized what he had yelled and thought it was kind of funny. I guess to him sharing the road means get out of his way. There are idiots everywhere, and most of them are in bigger vehicles.

·
Third Coast Colnago
363 Posts
"Are people this stupid?" Some ARE this stupid, some are WORSE, and then a smaller percentage has some common sense and courtesy And just think. Many are parents that breed. :eek:

regularly, as I climb a hill near my house, it never fails that a car will not wait and proceeds to move over the double line and into the oncoming lane (a blind hill). What are they thinking? One of these days a car will come fling over the hill in the opposite direction and someone will get hurt. This mental midgets can't wait 20-25 seconds.

·
2 wheels & a crank
97 Posts
I can sympathize, I actually was using the sidewalk over the weekend for about a half mile and of course, some one in a car told me I was going too fast on the sidewalk....

You can't win with some drivers... More or less a shake your head and move on situation

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There was far from plenty of space. As I wrote-- it was a narrow city street. I was surprised to even see a bus on it. Nor was there plenty of time--

--- this was a simple case of the larger vehicle attempting to bully the smaller vehicle.

Some of these streets are so narrow that the buses literally need to drive partially on the sidewalk when meeting an approaching car.

Minjin said:
Sure you can. This is slow city traffic we're talking about here. If I was coming up on a bus from behind and it looked like it wasn't going anywhere anytime soon and there was a car coming but there was plenty of space (and time) for him to get over a bit, I absolutely would pass. Nothing risky about it, at least any more so than any other driving where we assume that the other person has his head screwed on straight.

If there isn't space for both, that's a different story and I said as much already.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Incident occurred in Norway--- however--- the woman started yelling at me-- in American English. It was a bit disorienting.... or rather, it felt like home.

A week ago a local club was motorpacing out by the airport-- on a Saturday morning when there is almost no traffic. An enraged motorist passed the lead vehicle and slammed on his brakes. One of the riders went through the rear window of the team car. Fortunately the police caught the driver. Usually motorists are more tolerant around here.

nayr497 said:
Where was this incident, filter? I thought you lived outside the U.S.? Just wondering because of the SUV. Not so many of those outside the US of A.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts