Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Is a Trek Madone the exact bike that Lance rode at the Tour?

2K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  Lumbergh 
#1 ·
I want to get a new bike and am wonderi fhte Madone is the same bike that team Postal or Discovery rode at the Tour. Does anybdoy know? And would I be a poseur if I got a USPS or Discovery Jersey?

#2 ·
Yes he did for the last 2 tours or so, albeit it's the older madone.

Who gives a rat's ass as to what you feel like wearing? If you are worrying about that, you're not riding enough.

Heck,I wear the yellow jersey or Disco's full kit a lot. So what? Just ride.

#3 ·
uzziefly said:
Yes he did for the last 2 tours or so, albeit it's the older madone.

Who gives a rat's ass as to what you feel like wearing? If you are worrying about that, you're not riding enough.

Heck,I wear the yellow jersey or Disco's full kit a lot. So what? Just ride.
Thanks. I will check out Treks website and visit my LBS.

I have a king of the mountains jersey but I never wear it because I figure people would think it was dumb. Plus I can't climb worth a rats a$$ so it would be false advertising. When you wear that yellow jersey you should find a couple riders ahead of you and sprint past them then put your arms up and point to the heavens, like you just won a stage. That'd be hilarious.

#5 ·
Team Astana(not in the tour) is using the latest version, a modified 6.9 Madone I am fairly certain with individual rider differences. Team kits do not make you a posser. Buying a bike that may not fit you correctly because you think its cool would classify someone as a posser IMHO.

#6 ·
also LA wouldn't ride the new Madone--he refused to let Trek switch to a sloping top tube saying he'd never ride a 'girl's bike'.

Personally, I think it's a bit disrespectful wearing a yellow jersey. It's a special jersey designating an achievement only a few of the world's best riders deserve. On anyone else it's an major Fred sign.

#7 ·
stevesbike said:
Personally, I think it's a bit disrespectful wearing a yellow jersey. It's a special jersey designating an achievement only a few of the world's best riders deserve. On anyone else it's an major Fred sign.
:frown2: How does that Rush song go? "In the high school halls/in the shopping malls/conform or be cast out/SUBDIVISIONS/in the basement bars/in the backs of cars/be cool or be cast out." :9: Nowhere is the dreamer or the misfit so alone.

Ajoc, WEAR WHATEVER YOU FEEL LIKE WEARING. Plus anytime you buy a yellow jersey or a pink jersey or other pro cyling-related garment, remember: you are supporting pro cycling, which is a good thing.

#8 ·
stevesbike said:
also LA wouldn't ride the new Madone--he refused to let Trek switch to a sloping top tube saying he'd never ride a 'girl's bike'.

Well disrespectful or not, I like my yellow jersey and I ride my bike.

If anyone thinks I'm posing, then I'll just tell them to watch the road instead of worrying what I'm wearing and that I can't give a flying phuc* what they wear either. It's a jersey, I bought it so I'm wearing it when I want.

And, Lance himself promoted the new Madones so......

#9 ·
i dont know if i would say he promoted the bikes

he went on the press junket when they released the bikes at the trek 100, but that was probably more of a paid spokesperson thing. after all, they were scratching each others' backs for so long. i have yet to see him on one, but i dont make it a habit of searching google for photos of lance.

the only bike i have seen that trek has given lance looked like classic geometry. i think it was a SS/FG. might have even been steel. it was for mellow johnnys.

uzziefly said:
And, Lance himself promoted the new Madones so......

#10 ·

Trek advertising at it's best. That's what they want you to think. That's one reason there were so many Treks on the road a few years ago. I see less of them now without the Lance influence. Don't get me wrong, nothing bad about a Madone. Some folks love them, some hate'em. Buy a bike because it works for and fits you, not cause Lance road it.

#12 ·
weltyed said:
he went on the press junket when they released the bikes at the trek 100, but that was probably more of a paid spokesperson thing. after all, they were scratching each others' backs for so long. i have yet to see him on one, but i dont make it a habit of searching google for photos of lance.

the only bike i have seen that trek has given lance looked like classic geometry. i think it was a SS/FG. might have even been steel. it was for mellow johnnys.
He rides a current model Madone or has the last few times I've seen him roll from the shop. It is a project one model. The steel bike was for Lance, not necessarily Mellow Johnnys.

#14 ·
stevesbike said:

what a girl...:rolleyes:

#17 ·
teoteoteo said:
Checky check the shifters
Whoa. What happened to the big Shimano/Lance love connection?

#18 ·
Armstrong, a life-long holdout of sloping top tube bikes went so far as to say, "These guys finally got me to ride a sloping top tube". cyclingnews etc...

The change to a sloping top tube came only after he retired; as a part owner of Trek, his interests would have changed to what sells. Sloping top tubes help the frame look the supposed redesign the frame went through to get people to buy new ones and to look like other top end bikes (cervelo etc).

#19 ·
jd3 said:

Trek advertising at it's best. That's what they want you to think. .
In a word, yes. All of the USPS/Disco bikes were stock Trek builds or were sold as stock bikes the following year. The 5900 and Madone SSL are good examples.

#20 ·
stevesbike said:

It isn't as if you are wearing THE yellow jersey. I think it would be disrespectful if you went around saying it was a real yellow jersey when it wasn't.

Otherwise, I liken it to wearing you favorite team's jersey or hat. You aren't trying to say you are on the team or anything but rather you support them. So wear what you want and what makes you happy.

#22 ·
i have a yellow jersey, its the version lance rode his last tour in. my lbs sold it to me last season to get rid of it for $10. i couldnt pass up the price, but i rarely wear it outside. mostly for training inside during the winter. i feel like a poser wearing it, but if you feel ok wearing it go for it. i dont have a problem, or even a thought to what others wear.

as for the bike, get one that feels comfortable, and fits. if the madone is that, go for it, but talk to your lbs first

#23 ·
fornaca68 said:
:frown2: How does that Rush song go? "In the high school halls/in the shopping malls/conform or be cast out/SUBDIVISIONS/in the basement bars/in the backs of cars/be cool or be cast out." :9: Nowhere is the dreamer or the misfit so alone.

Ajoc, WEAR WHATEVER YOU FEEL LIKE WEARING. Plus anytime you buy a yellow jersey or a pink jersey or other pro cyling-related garment, remember: you are supporting pro cycling, which is a good thing.
I think it's only disrespectful if you wear them on any kind of sanctioned races. But on group rides and such, let your freak flag fly!

For example, there is a former world champion track rider who rides and races on my local velodrome. I would feel like a tool if I were to show up wearing a rainbow stripped anything. Like some other posters mentioned, he earned those strips. I didn't. I just bought them at a store.

#24 ·
ajoc_prez said:
I want to get a new bike and am wonderi fhte Madone is the same bike that team Postal or Discovery rode at the Tour. Does anybdoy know? And would I be a poseur if I got a USPS or Discovery Jersey?

Exact? No. Even if you were to go out to the LBS and buy the new Astana version, it's highly unlikely that it's the same thing the pro's use. Look at this year's tour - how many of them are riding prototype, custom, or otherwise tuned stuff that you and I can only drool over.

Secondly, wearing team jerseys doesn't make you a poseur - just USPS or Discovery ones do,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.