Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard David Millar preaching (yet again!) about the evils of drug use when Ricco got caught.
Has this guy no shame?
Why is it every time that someone gets caught Millar can be found on his soap box?
Were Ricco and Piepoli not former team mates of Millar?
Does the guy think that we all have short memories?

· Darling of The Lounge
5,354 Posts
I liken Millar to a convicted serial killer who got religion while in prison.

Just because he found Jesus, are we all now supposed to just forgive and forget all his past transgressions?

The man is a hypocrite.

· Bea Arthur's Army of Evil
236 Posts
Retro Grouch said:

Just because he found Jesus, are we all now supposed to just forgive and forget all his past transgressions?

The man is a hypocrite.
"If you’re close to giving up on cycling, I can understand that. I almost did after all; but please don’t give up on us. And when I say us, I mean them. Because I am an ex-doper, I have to earn my right to be believed and trusted. But there are many who don’t. They need to be believed in."

This is taken from David Millar's diary on the Garmin Chipotle website. In his own words, he's no golden boy, he's speaking up for the rights and reputations of other clean riders who, unlike himself, are clean and always have been. On another note, what's wrong with a second chance after making good? The guy fessed up after getting caught, served his sentence, and is trying to set a good example. Unlike a lot of other riders like Tyler and Floyd, Millar admitted guilt right away. That goes a long way in my book. Have you read my book?

· haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
After the first + test came out I saw an interview with him & one of the things he said in it was along the lines that being the go-to guy for journalists re:doping was going to be part of his penance for being an ex-doper.

It's not his fault he gets a bunch of microphones shoved in his face when doping comes up. And he's not whining about his predicament & knows he brought it on himself.

· Registered
5,671 Posts
no-it's good. There used to be a code among cyclists not to call out other riders (just ask Lance...). Part of the culture change that's necessary if cycling is to clean up its act is riders breaking that code and attacking guys who continue to cheat.

· Registered
182 Posts
Retro Grouch said:

The man is a hypocrite.
Funny, after reading the first post....i was thinking the same thing. Just shutup and ride.

Another vote for being a hypocrite.

· Ron&Fez XM202/Sirius197
485 Posts
Racer C said:
Unlike a lot of other riders like Tyler and Floyd, Millar admitted guilt right away. That goes a long way in my book. Have you read my book?
-------------------------
Millar used EPO, Tyler blood doped. (More like team Dr AKA/enabler, mixed up his and a teamates blood bags up) Floyd used Testosterone. (Probably from the T-patch that most of the peloton used/use). Tyler probably feels that he didn't dope beacause he intended to use his own blood, convinced himself this was ok. Floyd was pi$$ed beacause he was doing something everybody else was doing, so deny, deny, deny....I don't have a prob with the patch, they use them to help with recovery. What do they expect after back to back to back mountain stages. Making your blood into ketchup is another story........I don't know Millar's story, but with an EPO failure, guessing there was physical evidence. No way to blame someone else like TH & FL did.

· Ron&Fez XM202/Sirius197
485 Posts
Just checked Millar's Wikipedia page, seems like he admitted use after police serched his home and found his EPO and syringes. Had there not been "Physical Evidence" he would have denied just as Floyd and Tyler did......that being said, DM is a hypocrite.

236 Posts
Bry03cobra said:
I don't know Millar's story, but with an EPO failure, guessing there was physical evidence. No way to blame someone else like TH & FL did.
Millar never tested positive. Police found empty vials at his house. Plenty of room for deniability.

· haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
ti-triodes said:
It's not Millar's fault they keep putting microphones in his face. It's his fault if he keeps shooting his hypocritical mouth off into the mics.

Just STFU and ride.
And if he did that there'd be a thread about what a jerk he was for refusing to be interviewed. Prolly the same folks that are *****ing about him now.

236 Posts
Can somebody explain to me how David Millar is being a hypocrite? Hypocrisy is a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not. So for David Millar to be a hypocrite when he is quoted after Ricco is caught that he advocates for clean cycling would mean that David Millar is currently riding dirty. Or do you mean that he does not actually advocate for clean cycling and that he is a liar? Advocating for clean cycling is an opinion. Being a hypocrite would mean that he is pretending to be clean, or he does not actually believe in clean cycling. On the other hand, if you simply think that David Millar is a jerk and does not deserve to advocate for clean cycling, that's different and I understand that.

· Daylight Fading
1,903 Posts
So we don't like the admitted dopers telling the other racers that doping is wrong?

I see. That makes sense to me.

What would you say if he chose not to speak at all about doping? Prolly the same.

BT

· Registered
150 Posts
David Millar has done his time and I suspect is now riding clean (or possibly much cleaner). Sure it took him a little time to come out and admit it but you have to remember the attitudes of the peloton at the time. It really wasn't seen as doping by the riders.

Floyd, Tyler, Lance, Vino and the others are old school hypocritical a$$holes, who doped, criticized other riders for doping and wouldn't even 'fess up if you caught them with the needle in their arms. They doped and should not be forgiven.

DM did the right thing in the end and deserves the right to call other people out.

· Banned
328 Posts
Racer C said:
Can somebody explain to me how David Millar is being a hypocrite? Hypocrisy is a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not.
"Hypocrite" - I do not think this word means what you think it means. It really means deceiver, liar, pietist, sanctimonious person. Sanctimonious - that about sums up Millar. It doesn't help he wears Paul Smith suits and has that stupid accent.

Bottom Line - don't throw rocks when you live in a glass house. He was all cussing saying Rocco was too good to be true - doesn't that sum up exactly Millar before he was busted.

If this guys train and train and train and there is basically no more room to train - the body can't take it and there aren't enough hours in a day and add to that your as good as Rocco - it takes a strong character to not take something that will just put you over the edge. A cheat? You bet. A fool, though, I'll wait to see his reaction. As for Millar - yea I am kind of sick of him, however, the most foolish thing ever in regards to doping is Armstrong and the whole Simioni thing. The mere fact that guy can taunt the one guy who really was coming clean about the biggest dope pedaler in cycling and not Sherwin or Roll or Legit ever questioned him on it. Well that just sucks.

236 Posts
velomonkey said:
"Hypocrite" - I do not think this word means what you think it means. It really means deceiver, liar, pietist, sanctimonious person.

Merriam-Webster's
Main Entry:
hy·poc·ri·sy
Pronunciation:
\hi-ˈpä-krə-sē also hī-\
Function:
noun
Inflected Form(s):
plural hy·poc·ri·sies
Etymology:
Middle English ypocrisie, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin hypocrisis, from Greek hypokrisis act of playing a part on the stage, hypocrisy, from hypokrinesthai to answer, act on the stage, from hypo- + krinein to decide — more at certain
Date:
13th century
1: a feigning to be what one is not or to believe what one does not

· What offseason?
534 Posts
This is one of those bull$hit topics that keeps coming up. Millar doped, he admitted it, he was suspended for 2 years. Comparing an admitted doper (especially with the prevalent doping culture in cycling earlier in the decade) to a serial killer isn't just idiotic, it's pretty insulting of our intelligence to expect us to buy it.

None of us have to forgive Millar for his actions and I can see understand being jaded when it comes to him. He doped - he lied, he was punished based on the rules at the time of his admission and he appears to have come back as a clean and outspoken rider who cares for the sport. If you are of the opinion that a rider or person can't change his ways, you might want to consider the corresponding hypocritical view of Vaughters as well because it's pretty well established that he doped (he certainly "played with the hot sauce" as he put it) under the same pressures that Millar did and he's just as vocal as Millar.

· Registered
2,771 Posts
No. I'm not sick of hearing Miller. I want to hear more of him. I want the whole damn peloton to hear an earful of him. Yes he screwed up, paid his due all the while taking full ownership of his error. Few these days (in life not just sport) take responsibility for their actions.

Outspoken villains of past are what the sport needs to create a future environment to lessen the dependancy on doping.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.