Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Out of work goaltender
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching the hell out of this site looking for some decent pedals. I'm leaning towards looks, based on what I've heard about the efficiency gained from larger platform (I'm coming from puny spd's). Every pedal review set out there has some guy who clipped out, broke a cleat, whatever, and goes down because of his stupid pedal. Is the clipping out fixable by tension adjustment for the most part? Anyone know of some bulletproof look pedals? I like the keo sprints based on their name making me think they'd keep your feet in while sprinting, or should I just buy some cheapos? any advice is appreciated.

·
wut?
14,624 Posts
"Sprint" is just the name... The release tension on those is 9-15 Nm. Just for reference, the step up (Keo Carbon) is 12-18 Nm. The Sprint's release tension can get plenty high.

Some reviews do mention cleats breaking, etc., but often the unhappy users are the one who are prompted to write reviews--most people have no problems and never write reviews. You can't go wrong with Looks--they have been making pedals forever.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Rode Looks for years and only broke one cleat

And that was in a crash. By comparison, I broke one of the new Shimano Ultegra SPD-SLs after one month. The rear plastic clip just tore when unclipping!

While I personally graduated to Speedplay Zero's (highly recommended, but big bucks) you cannot go wrong with Look pedals. My kids are still riding some of my original Look pedals. They can get a little rough looking (these are the old painted aluminum ones...the Keos now have composite or carbon bodies), and the cleats are cheap.

If I didn't love my Speedplay's, the red Keo Sprints would look pretty sharp on my Ti bike.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,528 Posts
You've been reading all the bad reviews. I've had Looks for over 10 yrs and never had a cleat snap or a pedal fail. Ever. They invented clipless and still are a leader in them.

·
Registered
635 Posts
ive put about 250 miles into the sprints so far. i really like them, im won over (from spd's). also, my bike fell on them twice pretty hard (once i leaned it up poorly, the other i was sitting on the top tube waiting for someone and bailed). pedals came out without a scratch both times. i dont think wear will be an issue on the pedal bodies.

·
Could be faster
282 Posts
i've ridden about 2,000km on look keo classic pedals and still on the first set of cleats. never had any problems clipping in or out of the pedals, or unclipping while sprinting (maybe i'm not sprinting hard enough???). the cleat looks a bit worn but it still clips in without problem and no unclipping under hard pedalling.

boon

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,029 Posts
I rode Looks for years.......

they are great pedals......many different types with different adjustment capabilities.

Only downside is IMO....the dreaded Look Cleat Squeak! Don't, let your cleats get to the point where they squeak....your fellow riders will appreciate it :p

Len

·
Registered
841 Posts
Len J said:
they are great pedals......many different types with different adjustment capabilities.

Only downside is IMO....the dreaded Look Cleat Squeak! Don't, let your cleats get to the point where they squeak....your fellow riders will appreciate it :p

Len
The newer red & white cleats are supposed to help quite a bit with this (teflon corners, or some such thing). My looks (CX7) don't squeak because they have composite sheets on the platform, not aluminum. I think that I got my first Look pedals sometime around 1990 (the dura ace version). Properly adjusted, I haven't had problems pulling out and I haven't had problems breaking cleats either. Cleat covers sure do help if you need to walk around at all (both for traction and for cleat longevity--easy enough to stick a pair in your jersey pocket if you think there might be any walking to be done).

These are not the only pedals that work, by any means, and different folks swear by different things (I have atacs for mtb myself). But they're solid dependable pedals with a nice big platform.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Most people who post reviews seem to be people who have less than a week with a product and thing it is the greatest invention ever---- or people who had a freakish problem with an axe to grind. I have seen negative bike reviews because the reviewer ended up with a flat tire- this stuff happens... same with pedals.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.