Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He's blowing away sprinters like Ricco blew away climbers . . . I hate to think that every guy who dominates is doping, and Cavendish seems like a good bloke . . . but I wonder.

Thoughts?

· likes to eat donuts
893 Posts
speculation = speculation

JMac said:
He's blowing away sprinters like Ricco blew away climbers . . . I hate to think that every guy who dominates is doping, and Cavendish seems like a good bloke . . . but I wonder.

Thoughts?
According to your logic, anyone who wins a stage must be automatically suspected of doping, and that way of thinking can be hazardous to your health.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
piano said:
According to your logic, anyone who wins a stage must be automatically suspected of doping, and that way of thinking can be hazardous to your health.
No, not exactly. Four stage wins, in such a convincing fashion, is a little different. And I hear what Stella is saying . . . but over the years there must have been times when the field was depleted too, but you didn't see a single sprinter winning this many stages. He could finish with 6 stage wins . . .

But, you are right, this is total speculation, and it is too bad that in this sport when you see someone dominating you think "are they clean?" I really like Cavendish, and I hope he never disapoints us.

· Bea Arthur's Army of Evil
236 Posts
JMac said:
but over the years there must have been times when the field was depleted too, but you didn't see a single sprinter winning this many stages.
Actually, we have seen this before. Mario Cipollini had 4 stage wins in 1999, Petacchi had 4 stage wins in 2003.

· Registered
3,245 Posts
Did you see MC trying to climb that little hill today? I would think if he was on something, he could get over the mts better than that.

· Registered
51 Posts
Being a Cynic...

With all of the doping escapades going on, I must admit that when I heard he was dropping out after 4 wins, my cynical side wondered whether he was quitting before he pushed his luck and got caught. If you were such a world class rider, with 4 wins under your belt, why wouldn't you go for 5...or 6 stage wins? He might never reach this point inhis career again. Just like the old saying goes, "A bird in the hand...."

· Bea Arthur's Army of Evil
236 Posts
cpark said:
The difference is they were already proven sprinter when they won 4 stages....
How is Mark Cavendish unproven before this Tour? 11 wins in 2007, and in 2008, before the Tour, he won
Three Days of De Panne
1st, Stage 2
1st, Stage 3A
1st, Grote Scheldeprijs
1st, Prologue, Tour de Romandie
1st, Stage 5, Ster Elektrotoer
Giro d'Italia
1st, Stage 4
1st, Stage 13
2nd, Stage 12
2nd, Stage 17
4th, Points Classification

That sounds pretty proven to me in his 2nd season as a pro.

· Cpark
2,106 Posts
Racer C said:
How is Mark Cavendish unproven before this Tour? 11 wins in 2007, and in 2008, before the Tour, he won
Three Days of De Panne
1st, Stage 2
1st, Stage 3A
1st, Grote Scheldeprijs
1st, Prologue, Tour de Romandie
1st, Stage 5, Ster Elektrotoer
Giro d'Italia
1st, Stage 4
1st, Stage 13
2nd, Stage 12
2nd, Stage 17
4th, Points Classification

That sounds pretty proven to me in his 2nd season as a pro.
Certainly not taking anything away from Mark, he is a rising star and I like him a lot.
Obviously your opinion of "proven sprinter" and mine is different (as it should).
I'm not sure who won against in Three Days of Panne, Grote Scheldeprijs, TDR, Ster Elektrotoer and Giro but I think Cipo and Petacch had way more victories than that before they won 4 stages. One thing for sure. After winning 4 stages in TDF, he is a proven sprinter in my book...:thumbsup:

· Calm like a Bomb..
918 Posts
He has a legit reason, he has no plans on winning the TDF but has high hopes in the olympics. So it doesn't make sense to hurt himself in the mountains or anywhere else and risk losing a gold medal opportunity

· imbasilical moreon
1,894 Posts
Fixotica said:
With all of the doping escapades going on, I must admit that when I heard he was dropping out after 4 wins, my cynical side wondered whether he was quitting before he pushed his luck and got caught. If you were such a world class rider, with 4 wins under your belt, why wouldn't you go for 5...or 6 stage wins? He might never reach this point inhis career again. Just like the old saying goes, "A bird in the hand...."
...he's a track guy...olympics on the way...

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
he's one of the favorites

for the Madison in Beijing
so unproven? check his track palmares as well
he goes through TdF doping controls- 4 stage wins,4 definite tests
and he faces IOC testing in 2 weeks and had British IOC testing a month or so ago
and UCI testing at the Giro (after 2 stage wins)

every other top sprinter is old while he is the rising star

· Registered
223 Posts
Racer C said:
Actually, we have seen this before. Mario Cipollini had 4 stage wins in 1999, Petacchi had 4 stage wins in 2003.
Unfortunate examples: Cipo was a major client of Checcini (sp?) and Petacchi is currently serving a suspension. I *tend* to think that Cav is clean but using the above riders doesn't help the cause!

· Ron&Fez XM202/Sirius197
485 Posts
He is an ex-bmx'er which explaines the explosive sprinting ability. Velonews just had a article about him. It said he is usually the first sprinter off the back when they hit the big climbs.

G

·
:p
Bry03cobra said:
He is an ex-bmx'er which explaines the explosive sprinting ability. Velonews just had a article about him. It said he is usually the first sprinter off the back when they hit the big climbs.
Right - so that pretty much rules out EPO use. As for any thing else, he seems clean, but God only knows.

· Registered
930 Posts
He's on the wrong epo program if he is doping -- the guy struggles up intermediate hills. I'd say he's clean, just a good pure sprinter. The Olympics reason was just an excuse for him and his team to get him to pull out gracefully rather than have to shamefully abandon an Alpine stage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.