Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Breakfast said:
Or, are sub-TT level intervals the way to increased overall power?
Where do you want to use the power? If you need more power for time trialing, then you need to practice making power on the time trial bike. If you need more power on the climbs, well, then you need to practice climbing more.

While simplistic, I've found that these principles apply pretty well. For instance, I've been doing a lot of climbing, but when I switch to the TT rig, I can't make the same watts. So since the district TT is coming up, I've been doing a lot more TT work.

YMMV and all that rot.

·
Registered
310 Posts
For me, as someone who doesn't competer much these days with anyone but myself, the best way to build power is to push myself harder than I did before...keep raising the bar. That way, the next time you try to duplicate the same effort/ride, it won't seem quite as tough.

There's one major hill that I am forced to climb in order to get home...no other way around it. When I started riding, it took every ounce of strength I had just to get up it (no matter what technique I tried) and now I have the luxury of decidinig whether I want to sit and spin or just gear up, get out of the saddle and prance up it.

Also, I find that the more I make sure to enjoy the ride, the better I seem to perform. Some days are better than others. Maybe if you do the same route over and over, you fall into a coma routine where you aren't progressing. Practice, effort, and struggle work, but maybe some time off the bike in the gym doing leg resistance training would help too. Then you get into a debate about anaerobic vs. aerobic strength which opens up an entirely new can o' worms.

bottom line (i guess): just keep working at it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.