Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how/if the current economic state is affecting your bike (or any bike related items) buying decisions.

Did you have a certain bike (or components) in mind but decide on one less expensive?

Will/did anyone say F' it, pull the trigger and get the bike they want(ed) even if it means eating ramen for a while?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
i think thats part of the problem.. if buying something is going to break you, good economy or not, its a poor decision.

i held off on pulling the trigger on my new bike until i was sure my job was secure. i paid cash.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are those whose decision may alter because of what's going on, even if the item falls within their range. I'm curious about those who can afford it but go with something less, or those who are more strapped but go ahead with it anyway.

In general, how the economy is affecting your thought process.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Sold my last remaining ride to pay for Christmas.

Just pulled the trigger on the new Giant TCR Advanced, paid cash.

Enough Said.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I lost a lot of money in the stock market . I was going to buy a Seven this year . I will have to wait till the market comes back , maybe few years from now .

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I was a sophomore in college in Nov 2006, and totalled my car in a fault-fault accident. Bought an Dawes ebay $200 bike spring 2007. Built a $1500 16.5lb HASA bike over winter.

I still don't have a car I call my own, and about to graduate from college with 15k in loans from a private college. (I'm banking on my parents giving me their 1992 Dodge Caravan w/150k miles and running great.)

·
COMER
604 Posts
I just purchased a new S3 with Zipp 404's and SRAM Red, I paid cash too. Business cycles are cyclical, if you prepare when things are great, you can still do well when the cycle recedes. It doesn't help the economy when the president constantly talks down about it, but it does help to push his anti-business agenda.

Back to the bike, Tom said it correctly, you can't make poor decisons. Plus, I don't care how the economy is, always pay cash. The only thing I will ever finance is a mortgage and I'm rethinking that monetary strategy.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Farmer Tan said:
I'm curious how/if the current economic state is affecting your bike (or any bike related items) buying decisions.

Did you have a certain bike (or components) in mind but decide on one less expensive?

Will/did anyone say F' it, pull the trigger and get the bike they want(ed) even if it means eating ramen for a while?
I'm in the process of a commuter build project. Going with a $100 Phil bottom bracket and $200+ hubs is tempting because of their quality. But hard times makes for room to rethink. I'll probably go with a $30 Sugino or Tange bottom bracket, a $30 Shimano front hub, and use a Shimano 105 rear hub I've had as a spare part.
The bike will take cantilever brakes. In doing the research, it's tempting to get a set of Paul's. Their the highest quality, and something different. But to save money, I'll have to be satisfied that a cheaper pair of Avids will stop me just as well in my commuting.
I am tempted to mount $40-$50 Schwalbe commuter tires, but may settle for cheaper Ritchey Tom Slicks.
For cranks, I could get a nice $165 pair of Sugino's from Velo Orange, or even a $200+ set of TA's. I'm become accustomed to a very low Q-factor through the years of riding a fixed-gear, and had discomfort when using a mountain bike triple, so the TA's would suit me in this. But to save money, I may have to try to get something for less than $100.
A King headset is out of the question, but this isn't a big deal. I'm very satisified with $30 Tange units.
I'm tempted to try out a sprung, Brooks Imperial. But with money might, this experiment may have to wait, and I'll throw on the old standard, a used Rolls from Ebay.
I bought a 20 year-old used frame on Ebay. If money wasn't tight, I'd be tempted to get the used frame blasted and painted. But looks have nothing to do with ride quality, so I'll deal with the original paint with a few rust spots, chips, scrapes, etc.
So yeah, the economy makes these decisions easier. It's easier when I don't even consider going top shelf.
Also, with money tight, I can't think about the future, in terms of stocking up. I normally like to have at east two of everything, a spare for every bit. A spare headset, a spare wheelset, spare light, a spare bottom bracket, stem, handlebar, etc. Ifhen something breaks, crashes, or gets stolen and you have the spare and can just throw it on that night, rather than hoping you have the money and time to buy something and wait for shipping. But I'll have to live without that safety net for a while.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
naw, it's just bike stuff... buying what you can't afford is kinda what got us into this mess

·
Registered
962 Posts
It definitely has affected my cycling consumption and my consumption as a whole.

This year was going to buy a set of aero wheels, a power meter, a garmin, and new desktop computer. All of those purchases have been put on hold.

I need to keep some money in the reserve in case I lose my job. I couldn't afford to pay my bills on unemployment. So I am building a 6 month cushion in case the "S" hits the fan.

·
Hold your line!
177 Posts
TomH said:
i think thats part of the problem.. if buying something is going to break you, good economy or not, its a poor decision.

i held off on pulling the trigger on my new bike until i was sure my job was secure. i paid cash.

+1 I think they call it personal responsibility. We ALL want stuff, but a responsible person waits until he/she has the cash to pay for it before actually making the purchase. Took me a while (and lots of wasted money) to learn this concept, but I finally got it about 5 years ago.

I have a bike ordered that I'll pay for with cash that I've been saving for two years. Cash for everything now except the house.

·
Hold your line!
177 Posts
Cash is king

Comer said:
I just purchased a new S3 with Zipp 404's and SRAM Red, I paid cash too. Business cycles are cyclical, if you prepare when things are great, you can still do well when the cycle recedes. It doesn't help the economy when the president constantly talks down about it, but it does help to push his anti-business agenda.

Back to the bike, Tom said it correctly, you can't make poor decisons. Plus, I don't care how the economy is, always pay cash. The only thing I will ever finance is a mortgage and I'm rethinking that monetary strategy.

+1 on the economy being cyclical. Plan for it and things will be OK

·
TWD
540 Posts
are there any nice time trial rigs available on 60 months same as cash? Would love to have a nice TT bike but can't justify for 4 rides a year .... slapping clip ons on the R3 will just have to do. Big sacrifices in tough times :)

·
Banned
882 Posts
Comer said:
if you prepare when things are great, you can still do well when the cycle recedes.

always pay cash. The only thing I will ever finance is a mortgage and I'm rethinking that monetary strategy.
BINGO! if you live within your means all the time then you do not have to stress when things get rough.

I may not have the nicest car or cool furniture or the newest electronic gadget but everything I do have I OWN.

I stopped buying NEW bikes a few years back because I can get last years top of the line model for less than half if your a patient and careful eBay, craigslist, etc... shopper.

Besides "legs & lungs" trump the flashiest bike any day :ihih:

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Not so much when it comes to bike purchases. I have pretty much everything I need. I never planned on buying new bike this year, regardless of the economy. However, on most everything else, yes the economy is effecting my purchasing choices. As someone said above, we lost a bunch of money out of the investment porfolio. We came out much better than most, because of a conservative position and some withdrawals that just happened to line up with the market tanking. Even so we lost 6 digits of "wealth" out of the porfolio and 5 digits of "wealth" off the home equity. None of it was "spending" money, but yes, it has indeed "shocked" me to the point that I'm not spending much money.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Jesse D Smith said:
The bike will take cantilever brakes. In doing the research, it's tempting to get a set of Paul's. Their the highest quality, and something different. But to save money, I'll have to be satisfied that a cheaper pair of Avids will stop me just as well in my commuting.
Avids are terrible. Get Tektro CR 720s instead. Avid price, Paul performance. Not as light, nice looking, US made etc., but good brakes.

Some products are a lousy deal at any price.

·
Bike Rider
238 Posts
Just bought a new, reasonably priced but nice road bike to ride to work and save money on gas. Also bought a set of beefier wheels and tires so I wouldn't have flats or wheel problems and be late to work.
Wonder if that is tax deductible?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
It just means shopping for a better deal...with the way it is now, there are good deals to be found. The last few days, I've heard, "some money is better than none" (Within reason of course) so mark-up's are lower in consideration. Using good sense and not getting over extended financially is a key point.

I'm buying what is of useful so spur of the moment "want's" are out.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts