Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean if I got a little belly fat and flabby pecs will exercising those areas get rid of the fat there? Because all I do is ride and from the waist up and the waist down I look like two completely different people. Upper body is where all the fat/fab is and the legs got ripped muscles with no fat on them.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
bmxhacksaw said:
I mean if I got a little belly fat and flabby pecs will exercising those areas get rid of the fat there? Because all I do is ride and from the waist up and the waist down I look like two completely different people. Upper body is where all the fat/fab is and the legs got ripped muscles with no fat on them.
"Is fat burning locational?" - No, though you can tighten up the muscles in those areas. - TF

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
As has been said...."NO"

Fat comes off at different rates in different areas, but you can't spot reduce areas....as many commercials would like to lead you to believe.

With men, the last place it usually comes off is the belly, while women it's the hips and thighs.

What you generally see though is people with larger muscles seem to have less fat in those areas because the muscle is spreading the amount of fat over a larger surface area: think of putting a 1/2" layer on a balloon, then blow it up (i.e. make it bigger) by a 1/3...the layer would still have the same amount of material, but would be thinner overall.

Basically...you just have to keep working out and reducing your calories until the fat goes away, no way to spot reduce.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Only between your ears.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Sort of yes and sort of no. From what a personal trainer told me larger muscle density tends to burn fat at a greater rate. So if you build your muscle in a certain area it should burn the fat thats over the muscle at a faster rate. Im not personally sure of the science behind this but Ive seen decent results on myself to support it. It kind of explains why us cyclists have fat that tends to stick to the stomach while the legs are like rocks. Even in the offseason when I hadnt gone for a ride in 4 months you couldnt even pinch the skin on my thighs but my stomach was another story. Starting from about november Ive been doing weights for my upper body and doing fast pace walks. Ive lost a ton of fat off my stomach and went from 181lbs to 155. For my size thats a really good percentage and Im still getting more slim each week. The number one thing I can say to lose that belly fat is to drink nothing but water. diet soda is a total scam and if you switch to just water you'll watch the pounds just fall off. Other than that, walking (not running) about 2-3 miles a day for 4 or 5 days a week will do great things for you. Walk at about 3.5 to 4.0 mph. If on a treadmill step up the incline to about 10%, the simple walking and water diet had my friend go from 285 to 201 in only 4 months. Other than that just eat right which is obvious. Congrats on the weight youve lost so far and best wishes for the weight youll lose in the near future.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
B15serv,

What you may be experiencing is not locational weight loss, but male pattern fat storage. On men, the fat will accumulate around the middle first before moving out to the extremities. This creates a layer of calorie rich insulation around the vital organs, as opposed to the less vital arms and legs. On women it's the hips and breasts. That's why they say.. the legs are the last to go.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Pecs usually are not fat and you can most certainly tone up the muscle with bench presses, etc. Although you can't spot reduce, if you are using more calories than you are taking in (vast oversimplification) fat should theoretically diminish over time, and the most fat would be lost in areas where you have the greatest stores (i.e., belly). I have been doing ab pilates for a month now, not so much to have six-pack abs (I'd have to starve to death for that) but to strenthen my core and help my back and riding performance.
Joe Friel said if you ride easy, your body will use fat stores more than carbohydrates
(muscle glycogen). That seems counterintuitive, in other words if I ride easier longer,
I would lose more weight? Please advise.

·
Cycling Coach
1,734 Posts
phoehn9111 said:
Pecs usually are not fat and you can most certainly tone up the muscle with bench presses, etc. Although you can't spot reduce, if you are using more calories than you are taking in (vast oversimplification) fat should theoretically diminish over time, and the most fat would be lost in areas where you have the greatest stores (i.e., belly). I have been doing ab pilates for a month now, not so much to have six-pack abs (I'd have to starve to death for that) but to strenthen my core and help my back and riding performance.
Joe Friel said if you ride easy, your body will use fat stores more than carbohydrates
(muscle glycogen). That seems counterintuitive, in other words if I ride easier longer,
I would lose more weight? Please advise.
It matter not what energy source is used (FFA or glycogen) or the proportion of each used, if the objective is to lose weight (fat), then a rider needs to ride as hard as they can sustainably do so for the duration available to train over the course of the training cycle.

So go as hard as you can go, but not so hard that it diminishes your ability to keep training in the days/weeks ahead. In that way over the course of the training cycle you burn the most calories.

While we may use a higher proportion of FFA to glycogen as a fuel source at lower intensities, it simply comes back to total calories burnt (vs taken on board) irrespective of the fuel source used. Indeed our ability to utilise FFA as fuel on long rides is actually enhanced by the physiological adaptations we get from higher intensity training.

·
Registered
484 Posts
With a proper diet and excerise (in your case just bike riding), you'll be able to burn most of your fat body. It just so happens for men, fat tend to be stored in the midsection of the body and seems the hardest to burn off. For me, the only excerise I regularly do is biking. And couple days after an intense bike ride, my mid-body (abs) always feel much tighter and just a little bit slimmer. If I don't get on the bike for more than 2 weeks, my mid-section again feels flabby.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Fat

B15serv said:
Sort of yes and sort of no. From what a personal trainer told me larger muscle density tends to burn fat at a greater rate. So if you build your muscle in a certain area it should burn the fat thats over the muscle at a faster rate. Im not personally sure of the science behind this but Ive seen decent results on myself to support it. It kind of explains why us cyclists have fat that tends to stick to the stomach while the legs are like rocks. .
That is completely wrong. Absolutely, completely wrong. Where the fat comes off is dependent on the sensitivity of the specific fat cells to lipolytic hormones and has NOTHING to do with where the fat cells are located. That personal trainer needs to go and read a couple of basic exercise physiology texts.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.