Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fuentes is now bragging about how a lot of cyclists he treats weren't caught (story on procycling.com), how he also dealt with soccer (and how much they improved under his care), and how he suspected for a while that he was being investigated. Something about hearing sounds and clicks when he was on the phone. What an idot! The guy was running a multi-million dollar illegal clinic (sure it's not legal to prescribe menopausal hormone therapy medication to pro athletes), and had the careers of huge stars at risk. Combining this with his grade 2 notes, his innovative use of codes (Jan=Jan), and pet names, it's a miracle he didn't end up killing someone (especially considering he did mix up blood supplies ala Hamilton). I'm sure the prosectors are going to give this guy a long rope to keep on talking and hang himself.

· Registered
11,561 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if he is never convicted of anything. Spain has no anti-doping laws so they had to go searching for some kind of law to charge him with. Even in Italy Ferrari got off basically on technicalities if I understand correctly. People charge these guys (Voet, Ferrari, Fuentes, etc.) with being idiots, but they've been doing what they do for probably well over a decade with no problems. Their arrests basically are watershed events b/c previously the authorities had paid them no mind and clearly WADA and the UCI have not authority to go after them.

And the idea that Hamilton's homologous blood problems were a mix up rather than a specific strategy of doping is pure speculation.

· Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
Is what Fuentes did even illegal in the US?

G

·
You can't get an M.D. degree if you are a total idiot. But in terms of this
Fuentes is now bragging about how a lot of cyclists he treats weren't caught
hey just going to cover his *ss. The prosecutors will be so happy with all the athletes named - they may just leave him alone. That or he is just scaring the sheit out of the athletes so they'll pay up what they owe :wink:

· Registered
2,514 Posts
The only thing they can convict him of in Spain is practicing dangerous medicine, which I believe is the reason they are trying to tie him to Pantani. Otherwise all his guys are winning races and clearly in better shape than the other riders so arguing that he harmed their health or was doing something dangerous is very likely to fail.

Almost everything is illegal in the US so if somebody wants to charge you with something they can always find a way. Oddly enough I have never heard of a physician being charged with a crime for harming or killing a patient through incompetence. I am not even sure it's illegal. Given the occupants of various government offices criminal incompetence or stupidity clearly couldn't and wouldn't be enforced anyway.

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
No he's not

but the riders who chose such a 'popular doc' sure are. Why the F would you choose a Gyno with a huge client list? At least if he was an ortho you'd have a secondary excuse.
Last I checked it's usually the dealer with the biggest client base who tends to get popped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.