Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a ride today everybody had loaded the map and route into their Garmin's but people were still making wrong turns because they can't see the map clearly enough.
When will they make a unit that talks like the ones in our cars do?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Having turn by turn spoken directions would be way to distracting on a close group ride. With multiple units going off would take mostof the fun out of a group ride. If they could make one that would default to silent then I think it would work for when you are riding alone.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
^^^^^^^^^agreed^^^^^^^^^^^^

I dont want to listen to your computer.
And seriously, who the hell gets lost on a group ride? If the group blows apart you are doing it wrong.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I could see some benefit to having this option, if you could turn the voice on and off. Maybe not great for group rides, but otherwise not a bad idea. Maybe it would negatively affect the battery life? You could always just use a car GPS and put it in your jersey pocket! :D

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
Just buy the Oregon (or Montana), which will work with the cadence, heart rate, and speed sensors and then update it with the city-navigator map which gives voice directions.

I assume that you can load city-navigator into the 800 as well?

·
Registered
289 Posts
On a ride today everybody had loaded the map and route into their Garmin's but people were still making wrong turns because they can't see the map clearly enough.
When will they make a unit that talks like the ones in our cars do?
I can just hear R. Lee Ermey's voice coming out of the GPS. "Yo....numbnuts...you missed the turn! What is your malfunciton?" Just think how useful he would be for pacing. "You're slow. My grandma's faster and she's dead!" My son met him. Said he was a lot of fun.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
If the routes are created even close to properly, the garmin will beep before each navigation point. And a tap brings it up to full brightness. If you have one of the more recent models, it shows a big honkin' turn arrow that's pretty much impossible to miss, along with a text description on-screen ("Left on Smith Road".)

It ain't speech, but it's still plenty annoying when the entire group starts beeping at once. If you need talkies, use the Google Maps on your iphone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.