Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Pinarello Rider
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really impressed with the Motionbased web service that can be used with the various Garmin GPS units. I was looking at the website and it seems that many people are complaining about power issues with their Edge 305 units. I would like to get one but am not in the mood to have a load of problems with the power, software, etc...

thoughts?

Jeff

· Registered
68 Posts
Another option is the Forerunner 305. I was having the same concerns as you so I looked at the Forerunner and it sacrifices the larger screen and the barimetric altimeter but the battery life it much better. I can get 10-12 hours on a single charge and have never had an issues with it.

· Registered
2,274 Posts
I've been really happy with my Edge 305 for two seasons now. Mine seems to go about 7 hours on a charge. I mainly use an automobile accessory charger (I keep my bike-scene inside my van) and download my data now about once a week. When I first got it, I was charging from my laptop and downloading daily.

I have had one head unit cease to function (would not take a charge) Garmin replaced it quickly and without fuss.

A couple of minor issues that could be fixed: I wish the cadence function switched automatically or more easily from bike to bike. I love the fact that I can just swap bikes with ease and no messing with magnets, wheel sizes, etc..but I have to go into the menu and "rescan" to make the cadence function work when I do a swap. Also, the rubber plug/ cover on the serial port (?) plug-in socket is a bit flimsey and not adequately durable. After a few months, it stops 'closing' easily and completely, sometimes leaving the data port vunerable to moisture and dirt.

I don't use any web based data service. I find the Garmin-provided Training Center software to be sufficient for my needs, though I would love to be able to send out my data from rides and I have not found a way to do that with the TC program.

A good unit...simple and hassel free compared to most other cyclecomputers I've used.
Don Hanson

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,358 Posts
jpaine said:
I am really impressed with the Motionbased web service that can be used with the various Garmin GPS units. I was looking at the website and it seems that many people are complaining about power issues with their Edge 305 units. I would like to get one but am not in the mood to have a load of problems with the power, software, etc...

thoughts?

Jeff
95% of the time--the only people who ever take the time to post a review are those who have the product break and they are p*ssed about it. Suprise suprise, the only people you'll find in a hospital are sick people!:)

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I have the 305, and it gets at least 7 hours. Just last weekend I did 7 hours of riding over the weekend and had no access to electricity, and the Garmin still had 1 bar charge left.

Also, use "smart" recording and you can get recordings longer than 3.5 hours.

If you hold Mode button for a second or two, you get a pop up for which bike you want to use. I believe if you set up a profile for Bike 2 or Bike 3, that's all you need to do when switching bikes.

· Registered
15 Posts
I've been using the Edge 305 for about 4 months now and can't figure out how I did without it! I really like using MotionBased and downloading rides and riding against the virtual partner. I am also in an area with lots of road options so having the map feature(even without the street details) is a huge benefit. I used to have to carry printouts of the map in my shorts and look every now and then.

One side of me wishes I could have justified the 605 because of the street level detail. I was told by the guy at REI that the all of the Edge units will take a HRM or Cadence unit so you could buy the 605 for the mapping and add the GSC-10 for Cadence(and speed when GPS doesn't pickup like on a trainer) and add the HRM as well. Can anyone confirm this?

One other note, I had a discussion about pricing with a store manager at REI and was told that there is an Edge 306 that will be released after the Boston Marathon. I don't know what difference it will have but it could be interesting.

All in all, the 305 has transformed my riding. At first it was daunting the amount of data that can be displayed but I am now very used to it.

Rick

· Registered
34 Posts
I brought the 305 with HR monitor to use on with the MTB 18 months ago and I don't know how I did without it. Battery life is around 7-8 hours although I've currently yet to ride long enough to run it flat. I use MemoryMap to plot the routes and courses, it makes it a lot easier to find your way across fields and bridle ways :) SInce getting a road bike at the start of the year the only regret is not getting the cadence sensor. I use the Garmin training centre software that comes with it along with SportsTracks which I've found to be excellent.

· Registered
3 Posts
Mine works great. I did have issues with it not turning one evening if charged. I can't remember but I figured out how to reset it, now it works like a charm.

I think charge usually lasts 10 hrs or so. I've gone a couple of weeks without charging it. Just remember to charge if it's been sitting around.

· Pinarello Rider
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks

Thanks Don,

check out www.motionbased.com to see how you can upload your rides and then share with your friends. I live in Singapore which is a tiny place so the GPS is not my main interest in getting a Garmin (hard to get lost here)...I really want to share the great rides I do around the region so the web based service is what I am interested in mostly.

Thanks for your feedback.

Jeff

Gnarly 928 said:
I've been really happy with my Edge 305 for two seasons now. Mine seems to go about 7 hours on a charge. I mainly use an automobile accessory charger (I keep my bike-scene inside my van) and download my data now about once a week. When I first got it, I was charging from my laptop and downloading daily.

I have had one head unit cease to function (would not take a charge) Garmin replaced it quickly and without fuss.

A couple of minor issues that could be fixed: I wish the cadence function switched automatically or more easily from bike to bike. I love the fact that I can just swap bikes with ease and no messing with magnets, wheel sizes, etc..but I have to go into the menu and "rescan" to make the cadence function work when I do a swap. Also, the rubber plug/ cover on the serial port (?) plug-in socket is a bit flimsey and not adequately durable. After a few months, it stops 'closing' easily and completely, sometimes leaving the data port vunerable to moisture and dirt.

I don't use any web based data service. I find the Garmin-provided Training Center software to be sufficient for my needs, though I would love to be able to send out my data from rides and I have not found a way to do that with the TC program.

A good unit...simple and hassel free compared to most other cyclecomputers I've used.
Don Hanson

· Registered
216 Posts
Question for you Garminites out there...I'm doing a 12-14 hour ride next month, does anyone have any creative options for recharging or using solar (since it's just a mini-USB port on the 305?) Oh yeah, and I love mine, best bike accessory investment I ever made.

· Registered
147 Posts
Solar charging

Yes there options for solar powering a Garmin but unfortunately I lost the website link to it. I would google it and something should come up. Also you could check the forums on motionbased.com.

Power1369

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.