Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was tuning up a Origin8 Cutler CB single speed for a friend last weekend and he requested to have rear brakes installed. The bridge on the back is not threaded and the distance from the hole to the brake track is about 75mm. I mounted a Tektro R369 long reach front caliper (55-73mm reach), but the pads were lightly rubbing against the tire. I removed one link from the chain and mounted the wheel all the way up against the stop and am able to get the brake pad to reach without rubbing. Naturally this will cause issues with removing the wheel as it cannot be moved to slack the chain for wheel removal.

Are there any caliper brakes with reach that is longer than 73mm? I found a Tektro beach cruiser brake with 79-99mm reach but it requires a long pull lever. The bike currently has bullhorns and RX 4.1 aero levers. Any other suggestions for getting brakes to reach? Since the bridge isn't threaded, I am guessing it is not a fender mount, but I could be wrong.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
when doing a 700c conversion on a vintage bike, i sometimes run into this issue. two possible solutions:

1. make a shim with a half-washer behind the pads to angle them down, toward the rim.
2. use a rotary tool or iron file to remove some of the bottom of the aluminum caliper arm so you can lower the shoe/pad a little more.

usually all that's needed is a mm or 2 of reach, so these solutions work without compromising safety.

the tektro 559 is the longest i've used.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when doing a 700c conversion on a vintage bike, i sometimes run into this issue. two possible solutions:

1. make a shim with a half-washer behind the pads to angle them down, toward the rim.
2. use a rotary tool or iron file to remove some of the bottom of the aluminum caliper arm so you can lower the shoe/pad a little more.

usually all that's needed is a mm or 2 of reach, so these solutions work without compromising safety.

the tektro 559 is the longest i've used.
Thanks for the advice, that actually sounds rather ingenious. I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
8,799 Posts
Here's three ideas. The last is probably the easiest.

If your using an older brake a drop bolt can be found on e-bay. They're pricey and brake specific.

drop bolt in Bicycle Parts | eBay

Also an older MAFAC center pull brake with a maximum 75mm reach can be sourced. e-bay

VeloBase.com - Component: MAFAC Racer (red plastic washer; lettered DURAL FORGE MAFAC)

And the last idea, which will give most modern brakes another 7mm of reach are the BDop offset pad holders, made for Shimano pads.

BDop OFFSET HOLDERS

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's three ideas. The last is probably the easiest.

If your using an older brake a drop bolt can be found on e-bay. They're pricey and brake specific.

drop bolt in Bicycle Parts | eBay

Also an older MAFAC center pull brake with a maximum 75mm reach can be sourced. e-bay

VeloBase.com - Component: MAFAC Racer (red plastic washer; lettered DURAL FORGE MAFAC)

And the last idea, which will give most modern brakes another 7mm of reach are the BDop offset pad holders, made for Shimano pads.

BDop OFFSET HOLDERS
I do like the third idea, we have both been extremely busy this past week and so I haven't modded the brakes yet. I'll pitch the idea to him and see which route he goes with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.