Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
possible scam

I have a merckx ti for sale in the classified. Looks like I got a scam offer thats
similar to some of the previous examples.
Here was his response.

From: Harris Martiin <[email protected]> [Add to Address Book]

Subject: Re: A message about your ad on Road bike component reviews
Date: Mar 18, 2012 9:27 AM

Thanks for the response,I want you to know that i am satisfied with the conditions of this item looking at it again on the site,also i want you to know that will be making payment of $1400 for it,I will need your contact information so as to mail out the payment to you soon. I'd like to inform you that an excess amount will be added to the payment which will be sent out to you which will be for the mover that will come for the pick up of this item! so i will like to know if i can entrust you that you will forward the funds to the mover for the pick up i will await your payment information.
Regards
Harris

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
I have a merckx ti for sale in the classified. Looks like I got a scam offer thats
Here was his response.

Thanks for the response,I want you to know that i am satisfied with the conditions of this item looking at it again on the site,also i want you to know that will be making payment of $1400 for it,I will need your contact information so as to mail out the payment to you soon. I'd like to inform you that an excess amount will be added to the payment which will be sent out to you which will be for the mover that will come for the pick up of this item! so i will like to know if i can entrust you that you will forward the funds to the mover for the pick up i will await your payment information.
Regards
Harris
Scam.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here was his response.

Regards
Harris
Just today, I got the same type of email from this moron.

What a crock o' sheite this guy is! :mad:

·
Registered
5 Posts
scams

bicycleszonetrade.com frauds
also seling mobiles lap tops i phones
i hav been cond sent $1150 for a trek remedy
so please tel your freands.

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,451 Posts
Too many items at too good a price and only a 58% chance of being legal? Don't send your money son.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just got this scam from "danielle karle." Looks more legit than other scams I've seen.

Hi
Thank you for your respond .good to know this items are still available for sale.i want you to be aware i have a courier company that would be coming for the pickup. so you don't have to bother yourself shipping this items i will be making payment through PayPal because my bank account is linked to my PayPal account and PayPal is a secured method of payment for both the buyer and seller.kindly email me a PayPal money request invoice direct to my verified PayPal email which is the same as my email address [email protected] to proceed with the payment.looking forward to hear back from you soon.

Cheers
Danielle

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a "buyer" contact me asked a bunch of good questions

Q#1. How long have you owned it?
Q#2. a) Have you owned it from new? If not how many previous owner?
Q#3.Why are you selling it?
Q#4. In your opinion, what sort of conditions it?
Q#5. Any more available photo?
Q#6. How much are you asking for it?
Q#7. Do you accept a (Pay Pal)as a mode of payment.

Why he has to ask how much I am asking for it seems odd if the price is in the ad. he wants to pay via paypal. Thats great but he doesn't want me to ship it and his agent/moving company pick it up. Just to confirm my suspicions I called paypal with some questions. If I receive payment from paypal and I release the bike to his agent then he can say he never received it and dispute the transaction and he will win according to Paypal.

He got my contact info through this site. I looked and didn't see my email listed anywhere. The email from him shows his address not anything from Road Bike Review, is that normal when you contact a seller?

I love his last email

"I have told you on my several emails that i will arrange for a private moving company that will come for the pickup for safety delivery and insurance cos am presently working offshore. "

I am aware of overpayment scams I haven't heard of people paying with paypal and picking up the item in person or with an agent and then disputing the transaction.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I usually answer all the questions for something else I don't even have for sale, like a guitar or compressor. And a few I do not know and I do not know what you mean, can you rephrase the question...

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I asked him what he would be using the Surly Long Haul Trucker for Downhill or Cross country. He replied downhill.
Or maybe "if you are over 4'11" this may be too small? ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seller Beware!!! I just received a message regarding the sale of my road bike. His email address is [email protected]. This is a cashiers check scam!! Here is the message I received from him: Hello ,
I'm really glad with the content of your mail,Thanks so much for
everything, Please help me take proper care of it because I believe by
now it belongs to me.I am okay with
the price and condition of the ITEM..Please DO NOT respond to anybody
again .About the shipment,I will take care of that myself.. I shall
contact a shipping company
that normally does that for me.I shall pay in US Money order or
Cashier Check that will clear into your account within 24/48 hours
before will can proceed on the shipment
immediately after it clear you will deduct your own cost and transfer
the rest of the fund to the shipping company in order for them to come
for the pickup of item to take
place in your location... I am really glad that you want me to get the
ITEM and my family will be happy also when I get it,Because i
really needed it for presentation Please email me back today. I'll
need your data for the check, viz;
FULL NAME.......
CONTACT ADDRESS........
ASKING PRICE............
CITY........
STATE............
ZIP CODE.........
PHONE NUMBER.........
Please mail me today to let me know I am the rightful owner...and also
to let you know that the payment will be issued out within 48
hours..here is my phone number
for more details...Thanks for selling to me..well am located in 20722
Delta Wood Trail Humble, TX 77346 USA....
Cheers

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Similar to the above from [email protected]

The same email address shows up on midwestguntrader with a bogus check comment. He also didn't reply when I asked for the screen name on RBR.

Am happy you still have it for sale ,i also have my local pick-up
agent resident to pick-up, but that we be after when i sent you the
payment by my client via USPS and the payment received clear deposit
and withdraw clear cash by you,now i want you to email me with
following information such as your.

{1]your Full Name on Check .
[2]Contract Address,State ,City ,Zip Code
[3]your phone number.
Last asking price .

You So that payment can sent without any further delay ,the payment
will out by my client postal Money order or Certified check , Bank
before the shipping will be done by my picker,i await your payment