Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Slightly Opinionated
Joined
·
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Example: I was gifted a TDF climbers jersey and a Giro Maglia Rosa. Bad form to wear either one out on a solo ride, or even worse, a group ride?
 

·
Bacon!
Joined
·
9,193 Posts
Where them, enjoy it, and don't bother caring what other's think. Just enjoy the ride and yourself in it.
 

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
I know the conventional wisdom in cycling is you can't wear it unless you earned it but I have never been one to go with conventional wisdom. If it was a gift and it means something to you wear it. I have my T-mobile kit that I wear on my T-mobile bike (now team Highroad). It is funny because some folks give people crap about team kits but what are they wearing? Are they sponsored by any of the 10 logos on their Jerseys. Some maybe are but very few. Never mess with a guy comfortable enough to wear pink in the South. Wear it with pride.
 

·
Slightly Opinionated
Joined
·
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just the response I was looking for.

It's not that I have a problem wearing either (in fact, I've worn both) but I've gotten the odd snyde comment from some people about the fact of being a poseur, so to speak.

Frankly I don't give a damn what I'm wearing, as long as it jives with my mood, but I was just curious if that kind of "you must win it to wear it" mentality was commonplace. Thankfully, it's not. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,422 Posts
I think...

robdamanii said:
Example: I was gifted a TDF climbers jersey and a Giro Maglia Rosa. Bad form to wear either one out on a solo ride, or even worse, a group ride?
Honestly, I think that it depends.

For example, your local riding group, or friends, or local group ride, I'd say no problems.

I have done the group ride though at T-Town a couple of times, and if you show up there with some sort of team kit, or jersey, or even matching bike, there is a good chance that there will be someone there from said actual team, and you WILL look like a tool.

That being said. How many times have you ridden in T-Town?

Wear it if you want. It's all good. I used to wear a TDF climber's jersey, mostly because I thought it funny, and ironic, given that I suck at climbing.
 

·
Slightly Opinionated
Joined
·
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
magnolialover said:
Honestly, I think that it depends.

For example, your local riding group, or friends, or local group ride, I'd say no problems.

I have done the group ride though at T-Town a couple of times, and if you show up there with some sort of team kit, or jersey, or even matching bike, there is a good chance that there will be someone there from said actual team, and you WILL look like a tool.

That being said. How many times have you ridden in T-Town?

Wear it if you want. It's all good. I used to wear a TDF climber's jersey, mostly because I thought it funny, and ironic, given that I suck at climbing.
I find polka dots attract the wimmins. ;)
 

·
waterproof*
Joined
·
41,745 Posts
Polka dots are lighter, so even big guys climb better when wearing them.

Wear whatever you want. Me personally, I'm of the "earn it" school, but I never give anybody a hard time over it.

/edit, ok, I might snicker to myself if I'm feeling snarky. But nothing serious.

Now if you show up in full Disco yellow jersey skinsuit with a Trek TT bike and you weigh 230 lbs (like a guy I see around here sometimes) then I do reserve the right to point and laugh.
 

·
Slightly Opinionated
Joined
·
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Creakyknees said:
Now if you show up in full Disco yellow jersey skinsuit with a Trek TT bike and you weigh 230 lbs (like a guy I see around here sometimes) then I do reserve the right to point and laugh.
That's on the magnitude of the guy in the speedo from yesterday's discussion. :idea:
 

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
You know what I do when I see a big fat guy on a bike riding in a team kit, stop looking in the mirror. At least we are out there peddling.
 

·
Slightly Opinionated
Joined
·
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jupiterrn said:
You know what I do when I see a big fat guy on a bike riding in a team kit, stop looking in the mirror. At least we are out there peddling.
Team kit cool, and it's certainly a good thing that he's out there. I'm not sure how to handle a skinsuit though.

Without seeing it, I keep envisioning the guy in the Lampre kit.

Ah who am I kidding, trying to justify it. I deserved to be laughed at as well. Turnabout is fair play.
 

·
Slightly Opinionated
Joined
·
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TrailMix said:
Why do y'all suppose they offer team kit and leader's jerseys if you're not expected to buy and wear them?
Not so much a question of wearing them, just what's the social faux-paux of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
Personal preference

I'm not really sure how I feel on this matter of wearing a team kit. I don't currently own or wear one, just basic black and gray bibs and yellow and multi colored jerseys. I'm finding it hard to not buy the CSC bibs from Competitive Cyclist, but it would look really funny if I only purchased the bibs and not a jersey. I see alot of riders wearing full pro kits, like Quick Step, Discovery and even saw a Caisse DeParnge on the road, to each his own.
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,573 Posts
Agree, but it would be funny as hell if some clown did show up at a race in one.
I would be the one to make some sort of comment just as they said "Riders Ready".
 
1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top