Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Is it fork or forks?

2K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Slow Eddie 
#1 ·
I see people calling the singular device running through the headtube and connecting the front wheel to the headset and stem, forks. I've only got one fork on my bike and usually use just one fork for eating. I'll use forks if I'm at a fancy restraunt or if I'm really hungry. I've always wondered about this, but couldn't find a Miss Manners Forum on RBR, so I thought I'd ask it here.

#3 ·
Did one of YOU steal my f0rk!!!????

#5 ·
You say patato, and I say patoto,, you say tomatao, and I say tomoto.....

#6 ·
"Forks" is a more common usage with the UK/Commonwealth folks - not that it's all they say, but you're more likely to see it in a Cycling+ bike bike review versus Road or RBA over here (in the US). Maybe also Romance language speakers - at least when they offer up translated versions of their websites.

I think it might also be a moto thing, although that's not my bag so I really can't say for sure. It would explain why you hear it more out of brits - they love their moto gp...

#7 ·
Old school

"Forks" is kind of an old-school term, and most riders these days, in the U.S. anyway, say "fork." My understanding is that the term "forks" comes from the fact that the structure has two arms, each with a dropout at the end that kind of resembles a fork -- thus -- forks. But when you look at it from the front, the two arms branching off from the steer tube make the whole thing look like (one) fork.

We could solve all the confusion by agreeing to call it by some new, more descriptive name, such as "front-wheel holding and steering doohicky."

#8 ·
Well, you eat with a fork. You tune instruments with a tuning fork. You come to a fork in the road. So, to me, the thing on the front of my bike is a fork. No "s".

But, that's just me. I've heard a local guy who used to build bikes call the seat stays the "rear forks", so I guess it's all semantics.

That''s my theory. It's probably wrong...

#12 ·
FORK

the fork you eat with has 4+ tines, a pitch fork has several as well. It's not about the amount of tines but the fact that there is a split from one main sourse into 2+ others.

do the brits refer to all forks in the plural form when only speaking of one?

#16 ·
Mr. Versatile said:
Uh huh. And we don't have anything more valuable to do with our time than to debate stuff like this, right?

So says the one that just posted in here :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.