Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now that the weather is getting cooler here in the Pacific Northwest, the speed of our bike rides seems to be following the temperatures downwards. What is it about cooler temps that slow you down? Less efficient muscles? Blood flow trying to keep you warm instead of making you go fast? Wearing lots more cloths? All the above?

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
When I'm on a ride and it gets cold, I push harder. If it is cold at the start, I'll pass.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I don't think the bike gets slower, I think it's just a lot less fun to go faster when it's colder....

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
Now that the weather is getting cooler her in the Pacific Northwest, the speed of our bike rides seems to be following the temperatures downwards. What is it about cooler temps that slow you down? Less efficient muscles? Blood flow trying to keep you warm instead of making you go fast? Wearing lots more cloths? All the above?
All of the above and more.
More clothes restricts your body movement and friction. And it also creates more wind drag.

Colder air is more dense than warm air, so there is more friction and drag.

With shorter days and decreased riding, your fitness is dropping.

If you were really concerned you'd be better measuring power than speed. But you'd still be putting out less power.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
For me, its all the clothes. If you crank it up, you start sweating, which sucks when you're wearing tights, a jacket, gloves, balaclava, etc. Just feel good that you're making yourself ride in the cold rather than sitting on the sofa. Doesn't matter how fast you're riding.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
When it's cold I'm riding fewer rides that are shorter and slower while doing more cycling laundry.

I'm looking forward to late March, early April.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
When it's cold I'm riding fewer rides that are shorter and slower while doing more cycling laundry.

I'm looking forward to late March, early April.
Same. Cycling takes up a lot of time and the cold months give me a chance focus on other things. I'll do some Zwifting and a few outdoor rides but I take a more casual attitude towards riding.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I find now that I am old I have difficulty keeping sufficiently warm. So my strategy is to control the chill with hills. When I get a chill I just aim for the hills near my route and grind up em. Around here a number of the hills get up to 15% and take me up to 25 minutes per hill so that hurts the average speed big time. Upside is such tough hill workouts means I do not need to ride for 3 hours to keep up the power and burn calories.

Covid made my work schedule go haywire, so lately I am unable to get out on the bike in daytime during the week. I have hired more staff and so am hoping I can get out for a couple hours in afternoon daylight starting tomorrow, though. On my new winter bike!

·
Super Moderator
40,806 Posts
I find now that I am old I have difficulty keeping sufficiently warm. So my strategy is to control the chill with hills. When I get a chill I just aim for the hills near my route and grind up em. Around here a number of the hills get up to 15% and take me up to 25 minutes per hill so that hurts the average speed big time. Upside is such tough hill workouts means I do not need to ride for 3 hours to keep up the power and burn calories.

Covid made my work schedule go haywire, so lately I am unable to get out on the bike in daytime during the week. I have hired more staff and so am hoping I can get out for a couple hours in afternoon daylight starting tomorrow, though. On my new winter bike!
Worthless without pics.

·
Old enough to remember ..
81 Posts
The only cycling I plan on doing in Winter is on the wind-load trainer. One week to go until our cross-country ski area opens, 1.5 feet of snow on the ground and more falling, just checked the webcam a few minutes ago.
Routine will be: at least three good workouts on snow per week and indoor cycling if I feel like it.:D :D
Aiming for 1000km of XC skiing this winter, which is more or less the equivalent of 2500km of cycling.:wink5:

PS I no longer ski when it gets past -15ºC; too old to be that tough or " not so smart"

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
A lot of it is also the conditions you train in. It's relative.

What I consider "unbearably" hot, some people consider ideal.

What some people consider chilly, I consider pleasant.

I used to love cooler races. Maybe a little rain in there if the course wasn't technical. My body would more readily respond to the conditions than some. When they would be hunkered down in the suffering mode, I'd be looking for my chance.

But at a certain point, just like with heat, you just don't want to push anymore.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
A lot of it is also the conditions you train in. It's relative.

What I consider "unbearably" hot, some people consider ideal.

What some people consider chilly, I consider pleasant.

I used to love cooler races. Maybe a little rain in there if the course wasn't technical. My body would more readily respond to the conditions than some. When they would be hunkered down in the suffering mode, I'd be looking for my chance.

But at a certain point, just like with heat, you just don't want to push anymore.
It seems, to me, that others suffer the conditions more when they see you suffering the conditions less. Your lack of suffering seems to accentuate their suffering.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Breathing is less efficient in colder weather. I find myself huffing more in colder temps.

·
Registered
8,778 Posts
Breathing is less efficient in colder weather. I find myself huffing more in colder temps.
I don't know if less efficient is true seeing that colder air is denser, packing more oxygen into each breath.

·
Banned
398 Posts
Knowing your body, and perspiration management with clothing is key to road riding in winter temps .

Winter riding ( below 34 F) is amazing . Roads in my NY town 90 min. north of NYC are black within 4 hours after a 2-3ft snow storm.
Bigest issue is the cinder junk put down and the SpellingNurse. onthis hear forum.

I think lower sub freezing temps enables more oxygen in blood .
It certainly provides more exzilleration.
Velo gets it.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
I don't know if less efficient is true seeing that colder air is denser, packing more oxygen into each breath.
the denser oxygen level of cold air does not make up for alveoli contriction of the lungs. The result is a net negative gain of oxygen.

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
Colder air is more dense than warm air, so there is more friction and drag.
Aero drag is directly proportional to air density, so if you increase density by 10% (temperature drops by 49F or 27C) you will slow by about 1 mph (using 20 mph as the starting point).

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
the denser oxygen level of cold air does not make up for alveoli contriction of the lungs. The result is a net negative gain of oxygen.
^^^This.^^^

1 - 20 of 43 Posts