Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
If the temperature drops 49degrees, my speed will drop 20mph, based on a starting speed of 20mph. It just ain't go'ta happen!

·
Super Moderator
39,842 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
At 5°c, I'm on average 2.5 km/h slower than at 20°c. Cold air ruins my lungs, I'm less aero because of my jacket, air is dense and thus pretty draggy and I can't feel my extremities so I tend to be careful in descents.

Envoyé de mon SM-G973W en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
If the temperature drops 49degrees, my speed will drop 20mph, based on a starting speed of 20mph. It just ain't go'ta happen!
same thing happens if temps rise over 30C 85F for me ... bike is parked. luckily it is at most 2 days a year like that.

my cut off for MTB is about -2C which is what 28F or so. road bike maybe 3C

·
wut?
500 Posts
Aero drag is directly proportional to air density, so if you increase density by 10% (temperature drops by 49F or 27C) you will slow by about 1 mph (using 20 mph as the starting point).
^^^^
There was a group of engineering grad students a few years ago that did a research project addressing the question of why we go slower in winter. While there are many factors, they established that the single most significant one was increased air density.

·
Registered
21,434 Posts
I aways go for my KOM's when it's hot. Figures.
Over many years of riding a weekly 10 mile time trial, I found that the fastest conditions (for me anyway) was 80F (27 C) and high humidity. The high humidity reduced the air density a little further, but above 80 the heat was too much to take for an all out effort. I suppose that if I lived somewhere dryer than the Great Lakes region, I could have taken higher temps but I never got to run that experiment.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It gets harder as you get colder, and farther away as you get closer.

And I don’t know the answer. Does it even matter?

Seems like something out of a dream I had years ago. Yes, I remember screaming.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
For the same reason airplanes need more runway to take off in the summer, just sayin'....

·
Registered
962 Posts
Cardiologist introduced me to the 80/40 rule. After the heart attack I was not supposed to ride if the temperature was outside this parameter. I had tuned him out so I don’t really remember the reasons

I solved the problem by ignoring the 80 side and moving south to take care of the 40 end. I don’t miss going out when the temperature is in the 20s

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Cardiologist introduced me to the 80/40 rule. After the heart attack I was not supposed to ride if the temperature was outside this parameter. I had tuned him out so I don’t really remember the reasons

I solved the problem by ignoring the 80 side and moving south to take care of the 40 end. I don’t miss going out when the temperature is in the 20s
That's not much of a ride window he suggested.

·
NSFW
1,978 Posts
For me in the winter, it's not about going fast. Any sand on the pavement forces me to slow down anyway when descending.

Outdoors in the sun with fresh air in the face is a nice break from the trainer. My limits are a low of 37 degrees, and whether any snow or ice is on the ground.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
That's not much of a ride window he suggested.
why not? seems to describe our climate in this PNW region, actually. Though I will ride down to maybe 35F .. and mountain bike down to 25F, but it rarely gets that cold here and also maybe 5 days a year does it pip over 80F. My hard limit if 85F, that's getting into miserably hot imho. 70F for mountian biking.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,531 Posts
Sunny vs. cloudy makes a big difference. If it's clear and sunny, I will ride down to 35F as there is still a feeling of some warmth on the body. If it's overcast, even the 40's feels miserable while riding. Wind speed plays a large factor as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My cut off from cold weather riding is 0 celsius , like Lombard it also requires sunny skies and light winds at that temp.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It gets harder as you get colder, and farther away as you get closer.

And I don’t know the answer. Does it even matter?

Seems like something out of a dream I had years ago. Yes, I remember screaming.

4 weeks and nobody got my CSN reference? :)

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I understand your post but have no idea what CSN ?
That's probably more obscure than trying to resolve ridge's posts.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I understand your post but have no idea what CSN ?
That's probably more obscure than trying to resolve ridge's posts.

Lol, OMG, WTF. CSN Crosby, Stills, Nash. I assumed knowing the age of so many cyclist in every club I've ever joined, somebody would catch the reference.

"See the Changes" (1977)

She has seen me changing
It ain't easy rearranging
And it gets harder as you get older
Farther away as you get closer

And I don't know the answer
Does it even matter?
I'm wonderin' how

Ten years singing right out loud
I never looked was anybody listening
Then I fell out of a cloud
I hit the ground and noticed something missing

Now I have someone
She has seen me changing
And farther away as you get closer
And I don't know the answer

Does it even matter?
I'm wonderin' how

Seems like something out of a dream
I had years ago yes, I remember screaming
Nobody laughing all the good times
Getting harder to come by without weeping

Now I have someone
She has seen me changing
And farther away

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,531 Posts
Lol, OMG, WTF. CSN Crosby, Stills, Nash. I assumed knowing the age of so many cyclist in every club I've ever joined, somebody would catch the reference.
Somehow CSN went over my head as do many acronyms. Now if you had said CSNY, that would have rung a bell. Don't ask me why?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts