Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Non Non Cyclist
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
I love documentaries

A few good recent ones include Touching the Void, Offroad to Athens, What the Bleep Do We Know (kind of docudrama) and also Murderball.

Other movies I've enjoyed recently: Off the Map and You and Me and Everyone We Know.

I've had two friends who know my movie taste recommend The Constant Gardener, but I haven't seen it yet.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
lets_ride said:
A few good recent ones include Touching the Void, Offroad to Athens, What the Bleep Do We Know (kind of docudrama) and also Murderball.

Other movies I've enjoyed recently: Off the Map and You and Me and Everyone We Know.

I've had two friends who know my movie taste recommend The Constant Gardener, but I haven't seen it yet.
I liked What the Bleep, but the cheezy animation in it turned me off.
 

·
Non Non Cyclist
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I liked What the Bleep, but the cheezy animation in it turned me off.
That was my only complaint as well. Otherwise it was outstanding.
 

·
Bacon!
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
I don't know

Kinda of depends on what you like. Recently, rented Coach Carter, Pride and Prejudice, North Country, and Doom. First three I liked well enough. Last one was a little off to say the least. The first three were my wife's Netflix choices for the week. Now it's my turn and I don't see anything I like. Sure nothing in the theaters right now.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
Ridgetop said:
Kinda of depends on what you like. Recently, rented Coach Carter, Pride and Prejudice, North Country, and Doom. First three I liked well enough. Last one was a little off to say the least. The first three were my wife's Netflix choices for the week. Now it's my turn and I don't see anything I like. Sure nothing in the theaters right now.
The only one I've heard of in that list is Doom and I didn't see it on purpose. Pride and Prejudice? Is that a Jane Austen adaptation? I don't get out to movies unless they are somewhat kiddie friendly these days.
 

·
Grey Manrod
Joined
·
9,227 Posts
I recommend...

Walk the Line. But then, I'm a bit of a fan of Mr. John Cash.

I was also very surprised with the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I enjoyed it quite a bit.
 

·
A Canadian in Sweden
Joined
·
6,130 Posts
Unfortunately, Anneli and I just don't go to movies as much as we used to. It's kind of hard with the kids, and because Anneli's parents live 1,500 km south of us, we usually like to save our babysitting requests to our friends for more special things than going to the movies. We usually like to pick our movies and won't go see a movie just for the heck of it. The last one was Walk the Line, before that....a Swedish cartoon with my son, and Harry Potter at Christmas.
Cheers, Wayne
 

·
On your left!
Joined
·
1,299 Posts
Touching the Void...

lets_ride said:
A few good recent ones include Touching the Void, Offroad to Athens, What the Bleep Do We Know (kind of docudrama) and also Murderball.

Other movies I've enjoyed recently: Off the Map and You and Me and Everyone We Know.

I've had two friends who know my movie taste recommend The Constant Gardener, but I haven't seen it yet.
was simply awesome... Any outdoors person should see this one and consider how fortunate we are on any given day to be out in the elements and how incredible the human spirit can be. Can't recommend this one enough.
 

·
Non Non Cyclist
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
Brick Tamland said:
I was also very surprised with the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I enjoyed it quite a bit.
I saw this yesterday. It was visually stunning and I enjoyed it because I read the series of books when I was very young. I wouldn't really recommend it to everyone though. The underlying religious stuff kind of annoyed me.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
racerx said:
was simply awesome... Any outdoors person should see this one and consider how fortunate we are on any given day to be out in the elements and how incredible the human spirit can be. Can't recommend this one enough.
I liked it, but had read the book first. The book's story was far superior to the movie IMO, but the movie footage was spectacular.

// if you like the movie read the book. MUCH more technical details
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,426 Posts
"The Squid and the Whale"
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,890 Posts
walk the line is great. so is a german documentary on a crying camel in mongolia. "go see and become" is the most powerfull story i've seen in the last decade. highly recommend. directed by a rumanian and set in israel. the story is almost biblical!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,720 Posts
Call me a cheeseball, but I think all the Harry Potter, Lord of the Ring, and Pixar movies have been very well done.

Also, a few of my somewhat recent favorites

Fight Club
Snatch
Man on Fire
Pirates of the Caribbean
Boondock Saints
Oceans Eleven
Collateral
 

·
here comes trouble
Joined
·
10,045 Posts
It's just you.
 

·
here comes trouble
Joined
·
10,045 Posts
handsomerob said:
Also, a few of my somewhat recent favorites
Dude, half of those movies are over 5 years old.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,097 Posts
Me and my Mrs. finally watched Brokeback Mountain Saturday night.

I'm disappointed. The acting was pretty good. No, it was really good. I thought everyone played their roles well, and made a believer out of me.

But it was just too much ghay. I'm not a ****-phobe, and neither is my wife. We just lost interest in it. It was too much ghay, too much in your face.

I can also say that if the movie had been hetero-sexuals, it wouldn't have been a whole lot better, IMHO. I guess the real issue was that Hollywood just played it up too much, and I was expecting a life-changing experience. I didn't get that.

So, we went to sleep, and I stayed busy all day sunday until the Amstel came on. highlight of my weekend.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,890 Posts
ashpelham said:
Me and my Mrs. finally watched Brokeback Mountain Saturday night.

I'm disappointed. The acting was pretty good. No, it was really good. I thought everyone played their roles well, and made a believer out of me.

But it was just too much ghay. I'm not a ****-phobe, and neither is my wife. We just lost interest in it. It was too much ghay, too much in your face.

I can also say that if the movie had been hetero-sexuals, it wouldn't have been a whole lot better, IMHO. I guess the real issue was that Hollywood just played it up too much, and I was expecting a life-changing experience. I didn't get that.

So, we went to sleep, and I stayed busy all day sunday until the Amstel came on. highlight of my weekend.
brokeback mountain: don't have enough drama in that story. so.. the lovers can only meet twice a yr. what's the big deal?
 
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Top