Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with less than 1100 miles on my jamis, that had new garmin sensors both the ant+ magnetless cadence and speed sensor. They are both dead. The cadence senor is dry rotted and cracked, and the speed sensor is dropping ant+ signal like crazy. The computer head unit is sound, just that ant+ sensors fail in under a few months. Is this normal for you all?

I think all in all this is the list of sensors that have failed in 1 year time
1 speed sensor
2 cadence sensors
2 HRM straps

What luck or lack of luck have you all had?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
If it is dropping signal...maybe you should try replacing the batteries? Those do burn batteries faster than their magnet-based counterparts IME. I don't know what you are doing to dry-rot the covers....but mine are still going fine with 5000+ miles on them in rain/snow/sun/heat

The premium HRM is junk, the accelerometer sensors are quite good IMHO.

·
Registered
752 Posts
So with less than 1100 miles on my jamis, that had new garmin sensors both the ant+ magnetless cadence and speed sensor. They are both dead. The cadence senor is dry rotted and cracked, and the speed sensor is dropping ant+ signal like crazy. The computer head unit is sound, just that ant+ sensors fail in under a few months. Is this normal for you all?

I think all in all this is the list of sensors that have failed in 1 year time
1 speed sensor
2 cadence sensors
2 HRM straps

What luck or lack of luck have you all had?
Sorry dude, think its something you are doing. I have them on my SuperSix for about 5k miles, had to replace the batter in the speed sensor but that's it.

EEC

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
It's you. I'm using Garmin sensors since 2006, maybe around 25k miles on them, and none have ever failed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The old sensors were pretty crappy and my GSC10 failed. I've been using the new Garmin magnetless sensors for more than year. Zero problems. Garmin's heart rate strap that came with my Edge 510 was rubbish and would regularly report crazy high heart rates, often when I was descending hills or bending down to grab my drink bottle. Now using a Wahoo Tickr with zero problems.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I've had 1 x GSC10's on a bike since 2009 and 1 x GSC10 on another bike since 2013, both are still in use and have been flawless other than needing to change batteries. I had one Premium HR strap last 6 years and am on the second one now and works fine.

Zero complaints from me.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Never had a Garmin Sensor fail - GSC10 or HRM, The GSC10 is 3 years old.

·
Registered
100 Posts
No issues with the HRM or the cadence/speed sensor. Everything is working as it should.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My sensors have lasted over 5 years and I do gravel racing competitively. The only thing I would recommend anyone change is the magnet cadence sensor, just get a rare earth magnet from home depot or the like, they are a cleaner install inside the pedal axle and a stronger magnet that does not cut out like the garmin one or really any other companies.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts