Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
500 miles ago, I bought a full carbon bike with carbon cranks, seat post, handlebars, awesome light wheels, etc - the whole shooting match... The thing comes in at just over 17lbs. It climbs fantastically and flies on the flats, but going downhill at speeds of 30mph+, I feel like I have nothing under me and its un-nerving. I'm not sure I like it? I'm not comfortable or relaxed. Maybe with more miles I'll grow into it, but for the moment, I am more confident on my trusty old steed.

·
Registered
896 Posts
pro's do it everyday on the lightest bikes allowed by regs. its a matter of practice.
however, you need to match weight against your body type, riding stile, local road conditions, etc. if you go 225, ride like a bull dozer of sketchy pavement, then yes, I believe that you can have a bike that is too light

·
fifth time's a charm
1,805 Posts
some do but not all-

bauerb said:
pro's do it everyday on the lightest bikes allowed by regs. its a matter of practice.
however, you need to match weight against your body type, riding stile, local road conditions, etc. if you go 225, ride like a bull dozer of sketchy pavement, then yes, I believe that you can have a bike that is too light
Looking at some of the weights listed in a recent Velonews I was surprised that all of the bikes listed were over the limit, some by a fair amount-

Bobby Julich's Cervelo- 16.75lbs
Thomas Lovkist's Giant 15.75lbs
Christian Vande Velde's Felt 16.3lbs

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I would say it is a matter of fit, not bike weight that is giving you a not planted feeling. You may need a good professional fitting. A lot of LBS employees don't have the training and experience to do it right. Ask around in your area for who people would recommend.
The bike is not too light.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Like some others, I don't think the lighter weight is the issue. Have you compared the frame geometries? Quite possible your new model has a more race oriented head angle, fork rake, etc. than your old steed did. Until you get acclimated to the handling and required inputs, this could cause the bike to fill twitchy. After more saddle time, I suspect your confidence level will increase! :thumbsup:

·
fifth time's a charm
1,805 Posts
MB1 said:
500 miles ain't that many on a new bike.

I suspect that after a few thousand miles the ride will feel fine.
Ditto- When I went from my 18.5lb bike with relaxed geometry to my 15ish pound bike with a more race oriented geometry it felt strange at first. I recall downhill runs at between 35 and 45 that were just damn scary. Now that "we" have gotten to know each other I crave the high speeds and curves. Good tires help too (Pro3s are your friend:) )

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Sure, if it does not suit the rider or terrain ridden. But I would not consider you bike light unless you were 220lbs+.
Again, might be fit. My 13.41lb bikes handles well at 35-40 mph downhill.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
It's more about balance when you are descending. I test road a couple of carbon bikes before I bought one. One was a compact. It was real twitchy. It went where I pointed my head. Probably o.k for some young kid, but not an old geezer like me. Do you have an all carbon fork? My new carbon bike has an aluminum steerer. If your bike is light, you could try moving you saddle back. It will put more weight on your rear wheel and help the handling. My carbon bike weighs a tad under 17 pounds. Not super light, but well balanced. It's about weight distribution.

My steel Colnago descends like nothing else. It weighs right around 20 pounds.

·
Cpark
2,106 Posts
RoadLoad said:
500 miles ago, I bought a full carbon bike with carbon cranks, seat post, handlebars, awesome light wheels, etc - the whole shooting match... The thing comes in at just over 17lbs. It climbs fantastically and flies on the flats, but going downhill at speeds of 30mph+, I feel like I have nothing under me and its un-nerving. I'm not sure I like it? I'm not comfortable or relaxed. Maybe with more miles I'll grow into it, but for the moment, I am more confident on my trusty old steed.
I think it's in your head.
I weight 185lbs and my 15.5 lbs Time Proteam feels rock solid bombing down the hill at 50 mph+.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.