Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
stewardmike03 said:
I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is possible and who would do it? Any pics???
It is both possible and a very good idea in that it will protect the carbon from degradation due to UV radiation. Do you have anyone nearby who paints fiberglass boats? They could probably do a good job on your frame.

- FBB

·
Banned
653 Posts
fbagatelleblack said:
It is both possible and a very good idea in that it will protect the carbon from degradation due to UV radiation. Do you have anyone nearby who paints fiberglass boats? They could probably do a good job on your frame.

- FBB
Maybe the poster just wants to enhance the bike appearance. But with regard to your
comment, has anybody ever applied a wax-like coating to a carbon frame to get
UV protection? I mean, if we can buy sun tan oil in a pharmacy then something must
exist for autos, maybe a car wax. Meguiar's website says there is minimal UV protection
in a car wax.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Road cyclist said:
Maybe the poster just wants to enhance the bike appearance. But with regard to your
comment, has anybody ever applied a wax-like coating to a carbon frame to get
UV protection? I mean, if we can buy sun tan oil in a pharmacy then something must
exist for autos, maybe a car wax. Meguiar's website says there is minimal UV protection
in a car wax.
I hear that such waxes exist. I had a long dialogue with folks recently on UV filters built into waxes, clear coats, etc. It sounds like quite a lot of solutions are appearing these days. Still, if you put on a nice coat o' paint, you KNOW your blocking the UVs.

FBB

·
Registered
841 Posts
stewardmike03 said:
I was just wondering if anyone knows if this is possible and who would do it? Any pics???
Sure--After all, there are painted CF frames, painted AL frames, and painted combination frames that you can buy off the rack. I would expect that most frame painters would do it. The only trick is that you cannot put the CF in a bead blasting cabinet when you strip old finish; that means hand sanding of the paint or clear that's already on the CF (and so a bit more time and money). I'm not a frame painter--this is just my understanding from having spoken to a few when I had a frame and CF fork repainted a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was curious...

...because this is my first mixed media frame. Carbon seat stays with alu. everywhere else. My old steel frame was powdercoated inexpensively three times in uh...15 years. but will I be able to re-finish this frame if and when it is needed? Sounds like it's possible. I assume powdercoating is out because of the 350 degree oven...I would think that couldn't be good for the CF. So paint is my assumed only option. I've always been partial to nitro yellow-green, or maybe orange, magenta???...hmmmm. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.