Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of ordering a bike from rscycle.com. I have searched the web and this forum and can not find any real reviews of the company. I am asking members of this site who has purchased from them to rate their purchase experience. Please rate on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 - run for the hills, 10 - One of the greatest vendor on the web. Also any other comments about them would be appreciated.

· Banned
476 Posts
safe

it is safe to buy from any online bike retailer; as long as you use your credit card

you order the bike and pay with credit card

you get the bike and if you like it - great
if not you request to return it
then ship it back and they credit your card

simple

the sellers must do this; as you can always refuse payment on your card by asking card company to reserve charge due to the fact that you have returned to bike

not only is it no risk -- but with all the top sellers like randallscott, bikesdirect, ibex, performace - you can save 50% off buying in a bike shop

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Fifty percent?

I'm sure collectorvelo's enthusiastic and sunny endorsement of online bike buying is based on well-researched facts and lots of personal experience. But you have to ask yourself why many people still prefer to buy from bike shops, knowing full well that they are going to pay more for a bike there than online. It's difficult for me to believe that these people like to throw away their money, are stupid, or both. Something here doesn't make sense: in this society, you rarely pay 50% less and receive the identical product and product support. If you're aware of that and know exactly what you want, online buying will be the good experience collectorvelo promises you.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really do not think you save 50% by buying online, the saving is more in the 10 to 15% range but since I live in Florida and there is a 6% tax, the savings goes up to 16 to 21% and on a two thousand dollar bike that savings is really ($320 to $420)!

I when to LBS and looked at a Trek 5000, a nice bike but many of the things I was told about the bike were wrong, if the Trek web site can be trusted. I was told it was a full Ultegra but the web site state is it a mixed of Ultegra and 105 parts. So do you trust?

· Registered
11,555 Posts
I was told it was a full Ultegra
Not good, I agree. Find another shop, or at least another person in that shop to talk to.

"Full Ultegra" is hard to find, and the term is also being bent to mean "Ultegra except the crank." If you do go back to a shop, print out the manufacturer's web site specs, fold the page and put it into your back pocket. Then call BS if you smell it.

· Incredibly slow
581 Posts
Well, if you looked at the 5000, couldn't you see for yourself whether it had 105 parts or not? Also, keep in mind that most manufacturers' sites have a statement to the effect that specs are subject to change without notification. This has been known on occasion to actually benefit the buyer, as a 105 part may be in short supply, and is replaced by an Ultegra part.
As for buying from RS or any of the other on-line sources, are you sure of your size, and can you do the final assembly? If you can't do the latter yourself, include that cost in any comparison you make, along with (usually free) tune-ups from your LBS.

· my legs hurt
1,041 Posts
safe? sure.

safe? I bought two bikes there, both arrived and needed some TLC to get into riding condition (ie: cable checks, bolt checks and some assembly) standard "dealer ready" bikes. Received both bikes in timley fashion, and the store seemed pretty nice. Good place.

· Banned
476 Posts
well - no

NaplesTopless said:
I really do not think you save 50% by buying online, the saving is more in the 10 to 15% range but since I live in Florida and there is a 6% tax, the savings goes up to 16 to 21% and on a two thousand dollar bike that savings is really ($320 to $420)!

I when to LBS and looked at a Trek 5000, a nice bike but many of the things I was told about the bike were wrong, if the Trek web site can be trusted. I was told it was a full Ultegra but the web site state is it a mixed of Ultegra and 105 parts. So do you trust?
you can save 50% by buying online - if you are in an area where bike shops do not discount below list price

this is cetainly the case on higher level bikes -- lots of examples of this
but if your local guy will come off 25 or 30% - then you might only save 10 to 15% by buying online

but you can routinely see Ultegra 10 online in the $1000 to $1200 range - compared to similar specs in stores at $2000 to $2500

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Are Treks good bikes?

· Registered
100 Posts
NaplesTopless said:
I am thinking of ordering a bike from rscycle.com. I have searched the web and this forum and can not find any real reviews of the company. I am asking members of this site who has purchased from them to rate their purchase experience. Please rate on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 - run for the hills, 10 - One of the greatest vendor on the web. Also any other comments about them would be appreciated.
i bought a kuota from them a few months ago and would rate my exp 10/10

· Registered
789 Posts
A+ seller in all aspects: fair prices, offering affordable and durable quality products.
They also quickly acknowledge and remedy any warranty related claims. Shop RSCycles, it will be a positively rewarding customer experience!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.